Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new bird Donnie yesterday - wondering what mutation(s) he is though. I think he's dilute or a lighter greywing, he has pale grey wing markings and his body colour is a pale blue. His tail is a pale grey-blue. Thanks for any help :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
He's a Sky Blue Dilute

Here's a Dilute
http://www.***************/v_dilute1.jpg

here's a Grey wing
http://www.***************/v_greywing2.jpg

If you ignore the grey markings all together and just look at the difference in shades of the body color you can tell yours is extremely light like the dilute not just a "washed out" like the Grey wing

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your bird is cinnamon not greywing. He has pink feet and and orange beak which are signs of the cinnamon mutation

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
That's a new one I've never heard of cinnamon's having orange beaks not a single one of mine do

but every one of my Recessive pieds or Possible split(and or Masking) recessive pieds have orange beaks

Plus cinnamon's have Brown tails - this bird doesn't have a brown tail or any brown coloration what so ever:S

·
Registered
100 Posts
First thing to note about the pics is that the bird looks like it was photographed under incandescent light. This will alter colours of feather and skin in depth and intensity and can tend to make feet look pinker than they are. Also the bird is still a baby.

Nev may well be right on this one. Cinnamon does not show up on Dilutes, Greywings and Clearwings like you would expect them too. The interaction of the Cinnamon allele and the Dilute allele seem to conflict enough that the full expression of the Cinnamon allele is not realised. Below is a pic of a nest of Cinnamon Dilutes. These are not 1st generation Cinnamon Dilutes but rather a selected version we show as Black Eyed Self. I do have a 1st gen pic but can't find it at this time.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
RIPbudgies, I would like to see these above babies as adults. They are vey interesting.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was reading about cinnamons having pink feet, but that it wasn't a completely reliable indicator. So yesterday I went and looked at all the feet, and I have cinnamons with and without pink feet (kind of in between pink and grey) And I have a lot of others with pink feet, a lot with in between color, and very few with actual grey. (About 40 budgies)
It seemed really mixed up to me, so I concluded that maybe pink feet isn't my best route for identifying.

RIP, would Fingerprint's budgie be cinnamon combined with dilute? Or would the cinnamon be washing out the regular greywing color, to make it just seem like dilute?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was reading about cinnamons having pink feet, but that it wasn't a completely reliable indicator. So yesterday I went and looked at all the feet, and I have cinnamons with and without pink feet (kind of in between pink and grey) And I have a lot of others with pink feet, a lot with in between color, and very few with actual grey. (About 40 budgies)
It seemed really mixed up to me, so I concluded that maybe pink feet isn't my best route for identifying.

RIP, would Fingerprint's budgie be cinnamon combined with dilute? Or would the cinnamon be washing out the regular greywing color, to make it just seem like dilute?
The bird in question could be a 1st generation Cinnamon Dilute, it could also be a Cinnamon Greywing. It is a baby and as such the marking and colour will be reduced anyhow, the light it is photographed under also comes into play.

Here is a pic of a nest of Greywings. As you can see the markings are strong as they should be. If they had been Cinnamon they would be diluted more in the body colour and the markings would be faint and they would at baby stage show pink feet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.