Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi... I'm new here. I ventured over from the cockatiel forums. I aquired this bird and would like more information about him. I was told he was a male because of the coloring on his nares. He's approximately 4 years old. The coloring on his back is iridescent looking... it seems to change in the light. I'm not sure that I'd be interested in breeding (if I did it wouldn't be anytime soon)... but I'd like to find him a friend. Is there any mutation that I shouldn't pair him with? I read on cockatiels that you really shouldn't breed like to like mutations, is it the same with parakeets/budgies? I found a little female on CL that is blue and white, but doesn't really look like him.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks like a normal sky blue violet!I cant tell the sex judging from these photos...We want to see the cere...

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,870 Posts
I would say normal sky blue female. And a Beautiful blue color at that :).

·
Registered
133 Posts
i'm not good with mutations.. but it looks like you have a boy. :)

also, i've never heard anything about budgies not getting along with certain mutations.. pretty positive it doesn't matter on who you decide on as a friend. :D

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Normal sky blue male. :) (Males have bright blue ceres; females have white/pale blue, tan or crusty brown ceres.)

Breeding outcomes are determined by the pairing of dominant and recessive genes. In addition, some genes are sex-linked. Each chick receives one of two genes from each parent.

Budgies are either green/yellow series or blue/white series. Since green is dominant to blue, all chicks coming from a green & blue series budgie pairing will be green series ... unless the green parent is split to blue.

Some mutations -- such as dominant pied -- are dominant to normal. Thus, if you were to pair your bird with a single factor dominant pied hen, 50% of the chicks would be dominant pied and 50% would be normal.

Some mutations -- such as recessive pied -- are recessive to normal. Thus, if you were to pair your bird with a recessive pied hen, all the chicks would be normals ... unless your bird is split to recessive pied.

Last, some mutations -- such as opaline and cinnamon -- are sex-linked, which means a chick of one gender might show the mutation whereas the other gender might not show it, even though the bird is split to it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Awww, he is a cutie! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help!!

Thanks Donna... I think he's a cutie too. He's my first budgie and he's so entertaining and fun to watch.

Here is his new friend... her coloring is a little different, she has more white than he does. She's supposedly 4 months old. Is she the same mutation as him? Sorry I couldn't get better pictures... I'm not able to get very close to her yet. I tried putting the camera in the cage, but she flew all over the place. She's a funny little thing. She was hanging in the corner of the cage doing flips last night. I moved her over to a bigger cage today so now she has a lot more room.

Attachments

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Thanks for all the help!!

Thanks Donna... I think he's a cutie too. He's my first budgie and he's so entertaining and fun to watch.

Here is his new friend... her coloring is a little different, she has more white than he does. She's supposedly 4 months old. Is she the same mutation as him? Sorry I couldn't get better pictures... I'm not able to get very close to her yet. I tried putting the camera in the cage, but she flew all over the place. She's a funny little thing. She was hanging in the corner of the cage doing flips last night. I moved her over to a bigger cage today so now she has a lot more room.
She's a very pretty opaline dominant pied sky blue. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

You should not breed them until you've done plenty of breeding research. For example, you should not breed them until each bird is at least 12-18 months old.

If you breed them:
Normal sky blue male x opaline dominant pied sky blue female
50% of the chicks will be normal and 50% will be dominant pied.

All female chicks will be normal and all male chicks will be normal split to opaline. (None will be visually opaline.)

All the chicks will be sky blue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the information!! :)

Oh no, we won't be breeding anytime soon. I have 4 tiels so I wanted this little guy to have a friend of his own. I have a lot of research to do before I even attempt to do any bird breeding. She's in quarantine right now and after she's done we'll out their cages side by side for awhile so they can get to know each other...lol! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.