Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
for those of you who don't check the journals but are experts in muations, can you tell what mutations these two babies are gonna be? :)
Mom is a recessive pied while dad is a cobalt split for recessive pied :)

Mocha

Smore

Thank you in advance :)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Hi everyone,
for those of you who don't check the journals but are experts in muations, can you tell what mutations these two babies are gonna be? :)
Mom is a recessive pied while dad is a cobalt split for recessive pied :)
Caveat: I am not a mutations expert ... or anything close. But ...

Your breeding journal http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=45777 says mom is mauve recessive pied and dad is cobalt normal split for recessive pied. Since both parents are blue, chicks will be blue. Dean has taught me the best indication of body color will show in the rump pin feathers just above the tail.

I see pied thumbprints on the back of both heads. I think this indicates they are either dominant pieds, recessive pieds, or are split for recessive pied.

Since neither parent is dominant pied, I don't think either chick can be dominant pied. Which leaves us recessive pied or normal split for recessive pied. And since both parents carry recessive pied, chicks can be recessive pied.

The wing feathers look too light (dark gray rather than black) to be normal. Also, their tail feathers are white rather than dark. So my educated guess is both chicks are blue-based recessive pieds.

They are uniquely gorgeous! :love:

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Susan :)
Let's see what the experts have to say, I have a feeling you're right because everytime i look at them i get the thinking they are recessive pieds ;)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
You're wise to wait for the experts. :p

But FWIW, here's a picture of my recessive pied Baby #3 when she was about that age (15 days). I think she looks similar to your sweeties (dark gray, deceptively normal-looking wing pattern, but with white wing tips and tails).

The second picture is Baby #3 at 40 days old. Notice she's very heavily marked (cobalt rather than clear) and has the pied spot, which doesn't usually show up on recessive pieds because their heads are usually clear.

Dean identified her as heavily marked recessive pied in Post #12 here: http://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=45775.

I hope my mutation-spotting is improving. :fingerx:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Susan, you are right after all :D
I checked again today and they're looking like typical blue-based r.pieds :) Smore looks like a mauve r.pied but her colour is soooo much brighter!
Mocha looks like a sky blue recessive pied :)
I will post pics again when i am able to get good pictures without mum freaking out :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.