Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'd like the know the mutations of my flock, if anyone knows or could hazard a guess as to what each bird's mutation is, I'd be grateful. If you need clearer pictures to be able to distinguish the mutation I'll try my best to get some more.

George

Zena

In this image her tail looks like it was dunked in cocoa or dirt, but it looks alot whiter in real life (similar to the white feathers on her head).

-These were the best pictures I could get without stressing them.

Angel
Sorry for the low quality, was taken on a mobile.

I only have a few pictures of her, and I cannot get anymore as she escaped a week ago, nevertheless I wanted to know what mutation she was as she was stunning.

Also, if I were to breed George and Zena, what would the possible colour mutations be of the chicks? Is George too old to be bred at roughly 5-6 years old? I won't be breeding them until I have sufficient funds, supplies and space for any chicks, and of course, I will be waiting until Zena is 12-18 months old.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
awww im sorry to hear about Angel! what excatly happened :(
I believe George is a spangle and Zena (cool name ;) ) is sky blue opaline. Those are my guesses! I have no idea what Angel is though.
Hopefully a more experienced member will be able to tell you for sure :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
George is a green Spangle and Zena is a Skyblue Cinnamon Opaline. I can only guess as to what Angel was, but I'd say a Cobalt or Skyblue Opaline Clearbody..

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hello. Welcome to the forums.:)
I am not really sure about their mutations...
But I think I agree with Chimpsrule (who is also Zeena, what a coincidence :p)
that George is a spangle.
I'm not too sure if he is too old to breed tho. :S
Sorry I'm not of much help. :eek:
I just wanted to say that you have a really lovely flock. Well, pair.
(Sorry to hear about Angel. She was stunning. :speechless-smiley-0)
Someone more experienced will definitely come along and help you out though.
There are some very nice and budgie-intelligent (or 'budgiepro' as I like to call them)people here that will be glad to help you. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zeena in reply to your question: I was changing the water dish in her cage, two factors such as Angel being fast and cunning + my arm being wider than what she was, meant the gap left when I was opening the door was too wide, she hopped onto my arm and took off... :( My hands we occupied trying to hold the cage steady and get the water dish... I was stupid to change the water outside, but it is a lesson well learnt and I will never make the same mistake twice. The cups containing the seed and water are larger then the small doors, the original cups had broken a few months ago. Never going to use that circular cage again, as the doors are just small for my hands to get into without having to use the large door. I do hope she returns.:eek:hno:

Thanks for Zeena, Jen144 and Allyyh the information on their colour mutations! :eek:

By your information, George is a Green Spangle, Zena a Sky Blue Cinnamon Opaline and Angel possibly a Colbolt/Sky Blue Opaline Clearbody. That sounds like a bit of a mouthful but it certainly clears some things up! Thanks for the quick replies everyone! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you put out her cage and left the door open? My vet said they can hang for about a week or so and come back. ...due to Hunger, loneliness but keep trying. I also read that playing the you tube video's with parakeet sounds can also get them back.
I just took in a stray...
Good luck...

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
George is a spangle light green
Zena is an opaline cinnamon sky blue
Angel was an opaline Texas clearbody (quite rare)

George may be too old for breeding but sometimes an old male will still be fertile. (He looks healthy).

If George & Zena were bred and george is not split for opaline, cinnamon or blue the chicks would be:
50% spangle light green
50% normal light green

If George is split for opaline, cinnamon and blue you'd get:
Spangle light green
Spangle sky blue
Normal light green
Normal sky blue
Opaline spangle light green
Opaline spangle sky blue
Opaline light green
Opaline sky blue
Opaline cinnamon spangle light green
Opaline cinnamon spangle sky blue
Opaline cinnamon light green
Opaline cinnamon sky blue
Cinnamon spangle light green
Cinnamon spangle sky blue
Cinnamon light green
Cinnamon sky blue

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thanks nev! If it is means anything in regards to Georges recessive genes, he used to have a vibrant dark blue tail feather, when he was a few years old he pulled it out, hasn't grown back since. :eek:

Angels mutation was Opaline Texas Clearbody, :eek: No wonder why she was so stunning. She certainly had character and personality beyond any of my previous/current budgies, surprising that her mutation was quite rare. Now that I compare her image to this one listed on budgerigarplanet under the varitey differences it seems highly similar, the only differences being less blue with more white, lilac/violet cheek patches and lighter Grey wings instead of dark Grey. :)

I don't really mind what colour chicks I end up with because they will be cute no matter what, but the percentages are quite intriguing, with any luck George might still be fertile at his age, he certainly likes have episodes of head bobbing and whatnot, if not I'll have to ask Mum if she could let me get another male. Thanks for working out the percentages and possibilties!

I had a feeling Zena was Opaline as her colouration wasn't solid. I adore her cinnamon colouration. Thanks for clearing this up everyone. :D

karibird, I've left her cage outside with water and seed, I change the water daily in hopes of her returning. I think she got quite a fright when she escaped as she flew up to a street away before we lost sight of her. :(

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
i love Texas clear bodies. such a shame you lost her:(
you will need to get a new male if you wish to breed as 5-6 yrs is too old
good luck with breeding

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I won't be attempting to breed them until early 2010, but it's great to know possible outcomes. I'll probably purchase another male, that is 12 months old or older. Most likely a Blue or Grey one.

Thanks again for the help! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.