Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi experts,
I would like some confirmation (or correction :p) with the first picture and an answer for the last.

Mom is a violet recessive pied spangle
Dad is a cobalt split for recessive pied

The first chick (on the left) looks to be a cobalt recessive pied spangle, the 2nd appears to be a mauve spangle, am I correct?

For the last chick, i know it is a recessive pied but the colour appears like a dark grey so would he be a grey recessive pied? you can see the grey in this picture but it is a bit darker in real life.

Thank you in advance :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Can't tell if the first chick is spangle or not without a back view. From the front it just looks like a cobalt recessive pied

The second chick is a mauve recessive pied spangle even though he has very few clear areas.

The last chick could only be grey if one of the parents was grey. It could be mauve or violet mauve

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Can't tell if the first chick is spangle or not without a back view. From the front it just looks like a cobalt recessive pied

The second chick is a mauve recessive pied spangle even though he has very few clear areas.

The last chick could only be grey if one of the parents was grey. It could be mauve or violet mauve
Nev, I think Zeena's pictures are a bit confusing.

The first picture shows two chicks; one's on the left and the other's on the right.
The second picture shows the back of the left chick. Is the left chick a cobalt recessive pied spangle?
The third picture shows the side of the right chick. Is the right chick a mauve recessive pied spangle?

Zeena, you'd better lock your doors. I'm coming to birdnap your gorgeous sweeties. ;)

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nev, i managed to get some pictures of BonBon's rump:

Hopefully this will help determie his colour :)

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
Whatever the consensus they are very beautiful! :)

Reactions: Zeena

·
3,676 Posts
Nev, I think Zeena's pictures are a bit confusing.

The first picture shows two chicks; one's on the left and the other's on the right.
The second picture shows the back of the left chick. Is the left chick a cobalt recessive pied spangle?
The third picture shows the side of the right chick. Is the right chick a mauve recessive pied spangle?
If the 2nd picture shows the back of the chick on the left it is a recessive pied spangle
The chick on the right is also a recessive pied spangle but the recessive pied is not very obvious which is probably why I missed seeing it when the chick was younger

Nev, i managed to get some pictures of BonBon's rump:

Hopefully this will help determie his colour :)
He certainly looks grey

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If the 2nd picture shows the back of the chick on the left it is a recessive pied spangle
The chick on the right is also a recessive pied spangle but the recessive pied is not very obvious which is probably why I missed seeing it when the chick was younger

He certainly looks grey
Thank you so much Nev :)
I was wondering, if BonBon is in fact grey, is that even possible when both parents have a blue base colour?
How about the possibility of slate?

·
3,676 Posts
Thank you so much Nev :)
I was wondering, if BonBon is in fact grey, is that even possible when both parents have a blue base colour?
How about the possibility of slate?
Grey is a colour adding factor added to a blue base colour but because it is dominant it should show in one of the parents. Do you have a picture of the parents. It is possible that the violet is a violet grey.
Slate is very rare and it is a recessive mutation so it would have to be carried by both parents

·
3,676 Posts
Thank you Nev :)
The pictures of the parents can be found in the earlier thread:
She looks like she could be grey as well as violet. If the chick is grey this is the most likely explanation. When a bird that is both violet & grey is moulting both colours sometimes become more obvious

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She looks like she could be grey as well as violet. If the chick is grey this is the most likely explanation. When a bird that is both violet & grey is moulting both colours sometimes become more obvious
This is quite interesting Nev. The underside of her tail has some grey streaks in it. Is the violet colour more apparent than grey? what I mean is does it show more clearly?
Thanks again :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.