Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two new little ones last week and I'm curious as to what mutation they are, especially the pure yellow one. I also need help with ages,the green hen is easy enough I'd say 3-4 months but the yellow male I have no clue because he has no bars :S

Bird Beak Feather Pet supply Wing

Bird Beak Parrot Pet supply Natural material

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Your yellow molting male looks like my Sprite,
and I still cant figure out his mutation :S haha :)

Goodluck, Im sorry I cant help. They are prettyy :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
let's see... I believe there are 3 varieties of all yellow budgies you can tell the difference by the eye colors - red is a lutino, plum (dark but reddish) is a mix of reccessive pied and clearflight pied, and normal eyes is a double factor spangle,
yellow and white with no other colors would be a yellowface albino (also called creamino) mostly yellow would be type 2 mostly white a type 1 or double type 2.

The green one's harder to tell, it seems bluish in spots so maybe skyblue with a real case of yellowface type 2, or a light green with violet?

both are beautiful. If you got them at the petshop at the same time they're probably close to the same age.

a good simple explainaton of budgie mutations can be found at www.***************/colorsguide.html#wild

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The yellow male is a double factor spangle. This is the only pure yellow mutation that the male will develop a blue cere. He looks mature so it is difficult to tell his age but if the yellow gets much brighter when he has finished moulting it is probably his first moult.

The young hen is a normal dark green about 3 or 4 months old. It is usual for young dark green birds to show some blue feathering

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Expert has spoken :cool1:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to everyone who commented. I did a daft thing and got them from a bird auction which is why I dont know much at all about them. Definitely not the best place to buy birds but I couldn't resist them :eek: They are being quarantined fully away from my other two just incase of mites or other illnesses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.