Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hope whoever’s reading this is well. I absolutely adore genetics and recently got into budgie genetics as well. Just for the sake of my own interest, I’m very curious as to what mutations Jordy have. I learned that the cere colour could potentially also be different due to the mutation. I’m thinking that she’s an opaline budgie. Please, let me know what you guys think! I’m super interested in all your opinions! Thanks!

Bird Eye Beak Parrot Grey
Bird Vertebrate Beak Pet supply Bird supply

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, thank you so much for letting me know! I just assumed she was opsline because the bars weren’t as dark and thick as a normal budgie’s is. Thanks for responding! I appreciate it a lot! I haven’t heard of ‘greywing’ yet! Could you please tell me a bit more about it?

·
Super Moderator
20,173 Posts
Greywing is a mutation recessive to wild-type (i.e it needs to be expressed on two chromosomes to be "visual" and not "split") but is co-dominant with clearwing to make what is called a "full-body greywing" mutation and is dominant over dilute. This means that a budgie with one copy of the dilute mutation and one of greywing will visually be identical to a greywing. It essentially causes a dilution of the body and wing markings, though not to the extent that dilute does :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greywing is a mutation recessive to wild-type (i.e it needs to be expressed on two chromosomes to be "visual" and not "split") but is co-dominant with clearwing to make what is called a "full-body greywing" mutation and is dominant over dilute. This means that a budgie with one copy of the dilute mutation and one of greywing will visually be identical to a greywing. It essentially causes a dilution of the body and wing markings, though not to the extent that dilute does :)
Thank you for letting me know! That’s very interesting!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.