1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
021.jpg

026.jpg

025.jpg
This bird is a mistery too me. As a day old chick I was sure it's an ino, because it had bright red eyes - just like 2 other babies in the same nest. When the feathers came out it looked like a lutino; the other 2 are albinos. Now there are some green the bird as well, but the eyes are still red like a lutino. What's going on?

This is the mother: 023.jpg

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure of the father - colony breeding. 2 are albino's and the other one is an Green Opaline

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No brown markings - just the yellow and the green on the back and on the one side of the neck.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I've never seen a chick like this one.

It is obviously lutino but the green patches are a mystery. Lutinos often have a green sheen but not patches. Similar looking birds are relatively common but never with red eyes. A fallow would have colour on the rump but it wouldn't be a patch and it would have brown wing markings and no patch on the neck

The mother looks like a yellow face so the father must be the opaline green

Perhaps you could send a private message to RIPbudgies and see what she thinks

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Very nice Dries mayb u have a ring neck budgie LOL just jokes simila pattern to a ringneck on its neck area. Hope someone can help..

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice Dries mayb u have a ring neck budgie LOL just jokes simila pattern to a ringneck on its neck area. Hope someone can help..
Who knows!!
Nev, you say that the hen looks like a yellow face. I thought she's a Green RP???
The cocks in the aviary:

A green RP - looks almost the same as the hen.
A YF (2)cobalt
A normal violet
A yf(2) Cobalt spangle
A Yf cobalt clearflight
A FB Greywing YF Violet

One of the above might be split for Opaline - I don't know, but as you can see I don't have a green **** in my aviary - just the green RP. I know that you can't be sure who the father in a open aviary is, but the clearflight was the only one who was interested in this female. Maybe in the next round I will have some answers, because I'm going to place them in a breeding cage.
In fact they are already in the breeding cage with the babies and all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can you post clearer pics of all babies and both parents. Also note stuff like do the parents have iris rings or not. I need to see tails. Front, back and side shots.

·
3,676 Posts
I'm not sure of the father - colony breeding. 2 are albino's and the other one is an Green Opaline
I thought you meant that these were the available cocks.
One of the parents must be green series

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
View attachment 25416

View attachment 25417

View attachment 25418
This bird is a mistery too me. As a day old chick I was sure it's an ino, because it had bright red eyes - just like 2 other babies in the same nest. When the feathers came out it looked like a lutino; the other 2 are albinos. Now there are some green the bird as well, but the eyes are still red like a lutino. What's going on?

This is the mother: View attachment 25419
I've never seen a chick like this one.

It is obviously lutino but the green patches are a mystery. Lutinos often have a green sheen but not patches. Similar looking birds are relatively common but never with red eyes. A fallow would have colour on the rump but it wouldn't be a patch and it would have brown wing markings and no patch on the neck

The mother looks like a yellow face so the father must be the opaline green

Perhaps you could send a private message to RIPbudgies and see what she thinks
Dries, you really like to stump us with your colony breeding, don't you? ;)

Nev said that mother hen is YF blue; is she YF2 recessive pied blue?

Is the baby really partly lutino (yellow-base) or is he YF2 blue?

Last, his rump looks darker than mother hen's rump. So I assume his dad must have 1-2 dark factors?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dries, you really like to stump us with your colony breeding, don't you? ;)

I'm not trying too; but it keep you - the experts - on your toes!!:D

Nev said that mother hen is YF blue; is she YF2 recessive pied blue?

I don't want to disagree with Nev, because he is really the expert, but I wish he can tell me why he think it is a blue series bird - like I said I thought he was a Green RP. I can I make sure that it is a YF blue bird?

Is the baby really partly lutino (yellow-base) or is he YF2 blue?

Even if it is a YF2 blue bird why the red eyes?

Last, his rump looks darker than mother hen's rump. So I assume his dad must have 1-2 dark factors?
Like I said earlier I think that the dad is a YF2 cobalt clearflight - so there is the 1 dark factor.

It is dark now, so I will take photos tomorrow of the mother again as well as all the babies and the father. Just wish I had a good camara, but my cell phone is all I have.

Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts.

·
3,676 Posts
She looks like a green series recessive pied in the new pictures

She looks like a golden face blue recessive pied in the picture you posted at the start of the thread

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.