Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi budgie experts!

I met a lady who is breeding this male show budgie and female pet budgie. I am hoping to perhaps adopt one of their chicks.

I am curious to know what their chicks might look like. First of all - what mutation are the parents? And also, what mutations could their chicks be? The breeder told me the male is split for cinnamon.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The male is a normal cobalt & the female is a normal violet cobalt

If they do not have genes for other mutations you can expect all 3 shades of blue and about half of the chicks will have violet added. If the **** is split for cinnamon half of the female chicks will be cinnamon

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
The male is a normal cobalt & the female is a normal violet cobalt

If they do not have genes for other mutations you can expect all 3 shades of blue and about half of the chicks will have violet added. If the **** is split for cinnamon half of the female chicks will be cinnamon
Nev, I was under the impression that chicks can't be darker (have more dark factors) than the parents and thus these chicks could only be sky blue (no dark factors) or cobalt (one dark factor) since both parents are cobalt (one dark factor). Are you saying two cobalts can produce mauves (two dark factors)?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Nev, I was under the impression that chicks can't be darker (have more dark factors) than the parents and thus these chicks could only be sky blue (no dark factors) or cobalt (one dark factor) since both parents are cobalt (one dark factor). Are you saying two cobalts can produce mauves (two dark factors)?
The expected result from mating 2 birds with one dark factor each (cobalt) is:
25% sky blue (no dark factor)
50% cobalt (1 dark factor)
25% mauve (2 dark factors)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
The expected result from mating 2 birds with one dark factor each (cobalt) is:
25% sky blue (no dark factor)
50% cobalt (1 dark factor)
25% mauve (2 dark factors)
Aha! Thanks (again) for teaching me something new. :bowdown: :D

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I have been told if u have a Female colbat and Male they could produce violets.I got told a 50/50% chance I have found out with my budgies who the violet carrier is its my Harliquin male as i sold the colbat that my harliquin was paird with due to being a naughty muma not looking after her young. But with the new mrs he is with she is lutino and i have a violet spangle i think. So i guess he is the violet gene carrier.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for the help! Do you think their chicks will be attractive? I'd love to see some photographic examples of the mutations if anyone has some?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.