Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Human Jungle-gym
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems as though I can read and read and some more, but I can never seem to understand the mutations and genetics. I read the two stickies, and I just felt completely bombarded with information, and I tried leafing through it ... i'm hopeless! So, I guess what I'm asking is please help me figure out what the two of them are. I want to know their genetics for breeding purposes (much later in their lives)

Things you can't really see from the pictures:
Ivory is 100% ivory colored. No markings, but I can see his eyes beginning to lighten.
Louis's eyes are graying as well, much more light than Ivory's.
The darker patterns on Louis are actually a beautiful brown color.
The dark camouflage looking patterns on her tummy and everywhere that's not brown or white is actually a sky blue color.

Thanks in advance!

**P.S. How come Louis has a much more defined line down her belly than Ivory? Always wondered that!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Louis - cinnamon opaline dominant pied, I think
Ivory - if eyes stay dark then dark eyed clear, if develops iris rings with age a double factor spangle

Sorry can't help with any potential colors :eek:

·
Human Jungle-gym
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that is pretty complex. :eek: Never would have been able to come to that conclusion. Uh. And, Ivory's eyes are coming in grey, he's just younger than Louis, I'd say by a month or so.

G

·
Ivory is a DEC (dark-eyed clear). His eyes are solid black with NO white iris rings.

Louis is a cinnamon opaline recessive pied. Her eyes are solid black with NO white iris rings.

If both your budgies fulfill this condition said above, then the mutations is correct for them.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
These are tricky I totally forgot about iris rings in pieds today :eek: I said dominant pied because of the markings. Practice practice! I do agree with Jimm :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Man they are beautiful :D

Those of you who can identify them so well - amaze me. There are SO many VARIATIONS! :) good on you for knowing them.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Ivory is a DEC (dark-eyed clear). His eyes are solid black with NO white iris rings.

Louis is a cinnamon opaline recessive pied. Her eyes are solid black with NO white iris rings.

If both your budgies fulfill this condition said above, then the mutations is correct for them.
I'd be inclined to agree with you on your first guess Jimm-V. Aside from the black eyes, they both have orange beaks and pink feet - tell tale recessive pied traits.

Im not entirely convinced their irises are 'coming in'. They may have faint grey margins, but they do not and probably will not have white irises develop.

Also, im not 100% sure since I havent ever seen it in my aviary, but I think the defined feather 'crease' down the hens front is from being overweight. If I recall correctly, the presence of excess fat protrudes either side of the keel bone, causing a dip from the keel bone downwards which aims the feathers on each side of that dip in towards the dip, creating the crease :)

Have a feel of her chest, you should be able to easily feel the keel bone protruding. If it is not clearly defined, you might have a little tubby girl on your hands :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Ivory looks like a dark eyed clear but he is quite young so I wouldn't be certain

Louis is a cinnamon opaline dominant pied in spite of her orange beak & pink feet. The way that the pied pattern is distributed shows that her pied type is dominant not recessive

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Is it possible to be dominant pied and also have the yellow face type 2 mutatio? Seems to me that Louis' face and upper chest have some yellow tones. Since she is sky blue, wouldn't that indicate the above mutation? Or is there a limit to the number of mutations that can be identified?

·
Human Jungle-gym
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you

Thank you all for helping. How do you tell if there will be a white iris or not? Louis has a very clear gray ring around her eyes, and though I can't get a picture of Ivory's he has a very very faint one. =\

And as for the line, she's itty bitty. She's smaller than Ivory by a lot, and the line has been there since we got her home.

This is the best picture to show the gray ring I could find that was already posted on the internet. It's a little lighter now, I think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.