Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my adult lutino named Sherbet. I know lutinos are hard to sex and, through the younger months, I was convinced he was a boy. The cere was showing a lot of blue. Now, from the photos, you can see the cere is completely brown. So I'm asking all you experts to help me guess the sex. I will add that Sherbet acts VERY much like a male, showing off and puffing up his chest. Very friendly with my other males. Thank you for your help I'm advance.

Attachments

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Look's like a beautiful, mature, in condition Hen...:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? :D I did want a hen when I bought him/her, but I would be happy with either way. Sherbet is such a character. How would you explain the very male characteristics?

·
Registered
735 Posts
No question about it, she is a beautiful hen. ^^ As for the male characteristics, it doesn't matter what gender; both can sing, puff up and show off. It all depends on the budgie because each one has a unique personality.
That is why it's never accurate to determine a budgies gender by behavior! Some males are quiet and reserved, while some females are loud, vocal and outgoing. It differs from bird to bird.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hen in brown cere should look crusty and not a smooth one like Sherbet. My answer is a male in hormone disorder. To confirm sex, pelvic bones around the vent area should be jointed for a male, and for a hen, pelvic bones should have a gap when the left pelvic bone and the right pelvic bone meets. A diificult task to feel the pelvic bones when one is not experienced to handle birds.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one other female, Ovo, and Sherbet seems to 'flirt' with her the way a male does. Ovo has fought viciously with hens in the past, but she just seems to 'shoo' Sherbet away the same as the other males.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It all depends on the personality of the bird! ^^ It's not impossible for two females to get along.
When you also mentioned that Sherbet had a lot of blue in her cere when she was younger also leads me to believe she is female. A male lutino will have a solid pink/purple cere for their entire lives, with no traces of blue in it what so ever. A female lutino will have light blue ceres that turn tan/brown when in breeding condition.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I saw this photo myself and it wasn't my own bird, I would think it was a definite female, too. I'm so grateful for all your opinions.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
She have bright red eyes, right?

lutino males have pink cere all their lifes , not blue. So It cant be a male.

DF spangle males have blue cere, but their eyes are black with white iris rings.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I just have to add, she is a BEAUTY!!!:loveeyes:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the eyes are red. Aww my little girly Sherby! It's going to be hard getting used to saying her instead of him!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.