Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ! I know I haven't been on here for a long time , and I'm really sorry about that ! Anyway , I am going to my local pet store to purchase some more food for my parakeet. I would like to ask the following questions:

What brand do you feed your budgie ? What brands do you recommend ? What brands or products should I stay away from ? What products should I look for ?

Thanks for the help ! I really hope I can change his diet and give him a happier life :D

·
Administrator
55,336 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Food for your budgies...

When you are buying seeds for your pet parakeet(s), avoid products with colorful labels and ones that contain foods that they won't eat, such as fruit pellets or coconut shells, or dried bananas etc. They simply wont eat them and it is also very unconventional among experienced budgie owners.

With seeds, I use fresh seed mix that contain white, red proso millets, japanese millets, canary seeds, and oat groats. Other seeds that are not as important but can be added are nyger seed, canola, flax seed, and a little bit of sesame.

For new budgies they can start with the seeds. But gradually you will want to make it more healthy. Such as by adding fresh greens and vegetables.

James

·
Registered
611 Posts
I use tropican egg granule pellets. They like them, and I like the ingredients and nutrients!:) Don't ever buy food from the dollar store or anything like that.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'd buy Dr. Harvey's Parakeet Mix. It's one of the best brands and has extremely fresh ingredients. My one rescue, Alice, refused to touch her old mix after she tried the stuff I had ;). You'll have to order it online, though. It's made fresh to order, or at least mine was. If you also want to give pellets, I'd go with Goldenfeast Goldn'Obles III. Organic ingredients, no synthetic vitamins or minerals. It gets all the nutrients from the fruits, veggies, herbs, etc. in them.

I'd definitely recommend a sprout based diet, though. I'd order from SproutPeople. Get the "golden waves" blend, millet, peas, lentils, mung beans, and the small bird mix they have. Human-grade is a must when it comes to my budgies.

Oh, and lots of veggies! I'd say about a quarter to a third of a budgie's diet should be veggies. The other half should be sprouts, and the remainder is seeds and pellets. Well, that's my opinion, though.

Reactions: jrook
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.