Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a budgie as you can see beside my name that I would love to breed!
I am getting an aviary in the next week and plan to breed 2-3 pairs of budgies!!!
The question is.............
I have a colbalt blue **** and want to breed beuitiful pied or blue babies! What colour hen should I get for a good chance??????
And I would like to breed grey or green colours but what colour males and females should I get for a good chance???
And anything that I should know about breeding will be much appreciated!!!:budgie: Thanks!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
It depends on how the parents of the budgie looked like, do you know what his parents looked like?
For breeding budgies make or buy a nest box, fill the aviary with nesting material or use store bought material,If you put tissue they will trow that out most of the time

breeding signs:
*male and female constantly go in the nest box and they peck at it to make it
look like they want it to be
*the male bobs his head up and down and puffs himself up to look bigger
*feeding and preening each other

make sure your budgies are at least ten months olds ( best at a year)
please call me berivan

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
There are plenty of good articles online, and many of the sticky posts at the beginning of the breeding section give excellent advice. First of all, I think you should read up as much as possible, get EVERYTHING set up first, have someone experienced teach you how to handfeed first, and then wait until your budgies are in breeding condition before you breed them.

As for what you should breed your budgie with, I recomend a Skyblue Opaline Dominant Pied (or Cobalt if you prefer). I personally think that blue opaline dominant pieds are gorgeous. If you look at my siggy, you'll see my skyblue opaline dominant pied chick. Her name is Misty.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
There is some excellent information on breeding in the sticky threads in the breeding section of this forum that you should read before you start breeding.

Cobalt is the middle shade of the blue series so if you chose another cobalt for his mate you'd get all three shades of blue among the chicks. If you want pieds you'd need to pair him with a dominant pied hen because a recessive pied mate would only produce pieds if your **** bird was carrying a recessive pied gene.

Grey and green are both dominant colours so if either parent is visibly grey or green the colours will be visible in the chicks

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
oo i think a yellow face 1 or 2 dominant pied colbat hen would produce lovely chicks:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.