Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of a couple "bad" genes but I think it would be great to have a list of what not to breed. I do know traits like the s shaped back, no cheek patches, slouched posture, hanging tail, smudging, flecking. But I don't know a long list. If anyone could add anything it would be great to know for everyone that decides to breed budgies. Photos are great as well.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The things you mention are really only important if you are showing your birds. Show points are like fashions, uneven cheek patches or flecking could be the "IN" thing in the future. The main thing that we should avoid breeding are birds that need help to survive and breed. Some breeders produce chicks that have to be fostered because the parents are incapable of rearing them. Some have birds that cannot fly, see properly or breed without help. Some are so bad that artificial insemination has to be used for them to reproduce.

Just breed healthy birds of the type that you prefer

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i would firstly, decide if any feature limits the birds ability to survive, or life enjoyment. things like a hanging tail probably do not, though if it does not look good it may reduce the number of people that would choose it and therefore make it harder to home, which is not in the birds best interests.

being able to fly freely and easily is important to me, as it is such an important feature of their lives.

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
The things you mention are really only important if you are showing your birds. Show points are like fashions, uneven cheek patches or flecking could be the "IN" thing in the future. The main thing that we should avoid breeding are birds that need help to survive and breed. Some breeders produce chicks that have to be fostered because the parents are incapable of rearing them. Some have birds that cannot fly, see properly or breed without help. Some are so bad that artificial insemination has to be used for them to reproduce.

Just breed healthy birds of the type that you prefer
Exact thoughts. And I especially agree with the last bit!

·
Optimus Prime
4,046 Posts
i agree, as long as the trait isn't impairing their ability to have a good life or putting them at a higher risk of certain health problems than average, then it really doesnt matter. as far as i know there really isnt all that much to worry about with budgies... only thing i can think of is feather dusters, which dont really live long enough to breed anyways :S

eDiT: also its soo sad when you see people like nev said who have cages full of unhealthy animals and still breed them! personally i think it is a bit sad also that 'show' budgies dont live as long...

·
Optimus Prime
4,046 Posts
well its just a general thing. not necessarily every show budgie will die before any pet budgie, but as far as averages go their lifespans are shorter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since I breed specifically for nice family pets, here's the list of criteria and goals I keep in mind:

Temperament: bold, confident, curious, alert, playful. I don't pair birds who are nervous or shy.
Health: vigorous fliers and eaters, no tumors, etc.
Longevity: Since I take the time to hand-raise and hand-feed all my chicks and sell them as family pets, I want them to live long, healthy lives.
Colors: I get the most requests for blues, yellow-faces, violets, greywings, whites, lutinos, creminos, and recessive pieds. My 6 yr old daughter is working on plans to produce yellow-faced violets and rainbows, her favorite color combinations.
Conformation: I'm more bothered by poor conformation than any adopter ever is. I try to keep this last on my list of criteria, meaning if a bird has everything else on my list going for it, it's okay. I just keep the best ones to breed though, hopefully improving the overall look of my birds over time. Personally, I prefer American x English variety crosses... not too big, not too small, just right. ;)

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
I have read that the more colours a bird has, the more prone to tumours it is. A shame really, since they are so pretty.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have read that the more colours a bird has, the more prone to tumours it is. A shame really, since they are so pretty.
i have never heard that, and do not see how the genes for colour or variety would have any effect on tumour growth... i would be interested in any more information if there is some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.