Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to figure out what type of budgies I have and what types of parakeet babies will I get if the eggs hatch. I have included some pics to see if you guys can help out......

The male is the white and blue one and the female is the white, blue, and yellow Her face is a very light yellow and there is also some light yellow in her back:

BTW - let me know if i am wrong in the sex.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your birds are an opaline greywing sky blue and a yellow face greywing cobalt. I can’t be sure from your pictures but I think they are both female.

They are very young so even if they are one of each sex, you will have to wait a year before they are old enough for breeding. Also are you sure they are not siblings?

If they are male and female you would get:
Greywing cobalt
Greywing sky blue
Yellow face greywing cobalt
Yellow face greywing sky blue

If the opaline was the male all the female chicks would be opaline as well

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Nev has already said everything :)
They are way too young especially the yellow faced one, that one still has baby bars down to the cere :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I understand that they arent old enough for breeding and that they are pretty young! They are only a couple of months old. I already knew this from the information I've read on here.

The opaline greywing sky blue has blue at the bottom of its ceres and some white around the two little holes. The yellow face greywing cobalt has a pink ceres with a whitish/pinkish colors around the two holes. I bought them from two different places in two different cities so the chances of them being related are slim.

Thank you for letting me know the types. I still would like to know what their babies would look like.

Thanks!

·
Member of the Month
16,198 Posts
"what types of parakeet babies will I get if the eggs hatch"

i think thats what made it sound like your already gone ahead and started breeding

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
The opaline greywing sky blue has blue at the bottom of its ceres and some white around the two little holes. The yellow face greywing cobalt has a pink ceres with a whitish/pinkish colors around the two holes.
With the white around the nares it sounds like you have two females :p

The first budgie on the pictures is 100% girl but i'm not sure on the second one since i can't tell from the pics but it's looking like a female as well..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. Not sure why it was taken that way since the entire statement was "I am trying to figure out what type of budgies I have and what types of parakeet babies will I get if the eggs hatch." and not just limited to half a sentence. Full context of a sentence is needed rather than half of it. Otherwise, things get misinterpreted.

Anyways. Anyone else have an answer to that part? Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the white around the nares it sounds like you have two females :p
The first budgie on the pictures is 100% girl but i'm not sure on the second one
lol. great. they told me that one was male when i got it. Either way, just in case it should turn out to be a male, please let me know the results of that sort of colored pairing. I did spend a lot of time trying to figure out the colors, etc. so it is very much a puzzle to me. The answer would still be useful.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
lol. great. they told me that one was male when i got it. Either way, just in case it should turn out to be a male, please let me know the results of that sort of colored pairing. I did spend a lot of time trying to figure out the colors, etc. so it is very much a puzzle to me. The answer would still be useful.
Nev already told you what the chicks would look like if you bred them.. The first one though is 100% female.. the second one i'm still a bit confused..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nev already told you what the chicks would look like if you bred them.. The first one though is 100% female.. the second one i'm still a bit confused..
I missed that part and took it as part of her signature. Dope! Thanks a lot! Its alright about the second one. I love them both equally anyways no matter what they turn out, its all good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK.. so I am trying to understand this whole gene thing :) I have a couple more questions.

- Can I have an Opaline and a Yellow face in the same bird or is it one or the other?
- (maybe the same question as above) Assuming the Opaline is a male, is there is no way that i can get a yellow face greywing cobalt/sky blue female? or would that female also be an opaline?
-If the Opaline was a male, can any of the male babies be Opaline as well or is that only limited to females? If only limited to females, would their male babies all be opaline?

I tried reading it all but it is very confusing!

Thanks again!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
OK.. so I am trying to understand this whole gene thing :) I have a couple more questions.

- Can I have an Opaline and a Yellow face in the same bird or is it one or the other?
- (maybe the same question as above) Assuming the Opaline is a male, is there is no way that i can get a yellow face greywing cobalt/sky blue female? or would that female also be an opaline?
-If the Opaline was a male, can any of the male babies be Opaline as well or is that only limited to females? If only limited to females, would their male babies all be opaline?

I tried reading it all but it is very confusing!

Thanks again!
You can get yellow face, opaline and several other mutations in the same bird. Opaline is a sex-linked mutation so the gene must come from both parents to get males. If females are not visably opaline they won't have the opaline gene at all because a female cannot carry a sex-linked gene as split. If the opaline gene as only comes from the male it will only show in the female chicks. If the male is not opaline but is split for it half of the female chicks will be opaline. If the male is opaline all the female chicks will be opaline

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
new pics

I was able to get more pictures of the opaline since the sex was in question. I am hoping you guys can confirm either way now. Please let me know if you need better pictures.

Picture089.jpg

Picture099.jpg

Picture100.jpg

Picture118.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.