Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering what type of budgies I have

Here is a pair, Male on the left, Female on the right

This is their baby 'Lil' Ricky'

Lil Ricky with his Dad

Here is a photo of Lil Ricky with his cousin Victor

I would love to know what type of birds I have and if it is possible to tell the gender of Lil Ricky and Victor from these photos?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
i just know the basic. they are pied. XD i cannot get into detail! lol but they are BEAUTIFUL!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your pair are Type 2 yellow face recessive pied cobalt male & Type 2 yellow face recessive pied sky blue female.

Ricky is a recessive pied sky blue male

Victor is Type 2 yellow face recessive pied cobalt - looks female in this picture

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Your pair are Type 2 yellow face recessive pied cobalt male & Type 2 yellow face recessive pied sky blue female.

Ricky is a recessive pied sky blue male

Victor is Type 2 yellow face recessive pied cobalt - looks female in this picture
Ricky is a white-faced blue rather than yellow-faced blue.

Since Ricky's parents are YF2, then isn't Ricky a double factor yellow face type 2 recessive pied sky blue?

Also, I thought DFYF2's have yellow faces whereas DFYF1's have white faces. :S

Last, did you deduce that Dad is YF2 rather than YF1 with suffusion because Ricky is white face? (I assume that YF2 x YF1 always produces YF baby.)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Ricky is a white-faced blue rather than yellow-faced blue.
A pair of single factor yellow face budgies will produce about 25% white face chicks that haven't inherited YF

Since Ricky's parents are YF2, then isn't Ricky a double factor yellow face type 2 recessive pied sky blue?
Ricky hasn't inherited yellow face at all. From 2 single factors only about 25% will be double factor, 50% will be single factor & 25% will not inherit the yellow face

Also, I thought DFYF2's have yellow faces whereas DFYF1's have white faces. :S
That's right

Last, did you deduce that Dad is YF2 rather than YF1 with suffusion because Ricky is white face? (I assume that YF2 x YF1 always produces YF baby.)
I could be wrong about the Dad's yf type but I think he looks like a yf2. A YF2 mated to a YF1 will produce about 25% YF1, 25% YF2, 25% combination of the 2 types & 25% non yellow face.
The combination yellow face birds will look the same as the YF2s but the other type will show up when they breed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.