Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been reading about the different types of colour variations in budgies.
And I would like to know what one Forrest is.

I think his wing pattern is a Spangle, correct me if I'm wrong.

(P.S. Ignore his longest tail feather in picture 2, it is just really old and worn out)

Anything will help. :budgie:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure he's a she?
At what age does the cere turn to adult colour?
Even if he is a female, he is a sweet one.
Thanks for helping out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So...Forrest is a girl. :eek:
Aren't females supposed to be more aggressive than males?
This just *****. :(
I wanted a male :crying: The pet store lied. :hurt:
The good side is that she is not one of those biting, aggressive, don't touch me birds.
She is 8 months old. Should of known.
Does anyone else have sweet, loving females?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The good side is that she is not one of those biting, aggressive, don't touch me birds.
Most of my hens are aggressive than cocks.

But I have two females which are very sweet and never bite even if I hold them. :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Banana is a super sweet female. She’s one of the tamest budgies we’ve ever owned.
My last budgie was a beautiful sweet tame female. Clouds live to be 12 years old :(
We’ve had both males and females and not a lot of different in their behavior.

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
What varriation is Forrest?

Hi,

If you look closely in the pic that shows the cere, there are white circles around the nostrils. This indicate a hen. Some mutations are very hard to tell.
Occasionally they even slip by classifiers and judges at bird shows. Lutino, albono and ino are a challenge for me at any age but young mutations can be a problem. Some Hen breed by 8 months. You should know by then. Normally the cere turns light brownish pink and any blue disappears. The cere can get very dark brown and may even peal a way. I put a little Vet-RX or even olive oil on when my hens have the dry crusty look . It can bleed if you try to pull it off but if the oil softens it enough the hen will be able to rub it away as she feels it loosen. Take care not to clog the nasal openings. I use q-tips with small amt of oil. I have a couple of hens that have white ceres all of the time but they still mate and raise families, so behavior is the next best clue.

Blessings,

Jo Ann:budgie:

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
She is beautiful! It doesn't matter if your budgie is a female or male, it's important that you're enjoying it, which you obviously are.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Unfortunately most pet shops can't tell the difference. Even where I buy my birds they don't know how to sex young budgies and all they do is birds and they've done this for 40 years. I think the aggressiveness just depends on the bird and not just the gender.

She's a beauty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.