Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I need help for my breeding pairs.I have two pairs that are breeding.first pair laid their fifth egg today.The hen started laying on them the first egg was laid and slept in the nestbox ever since.Second pair laid an egg off the perch,which broke, 3 days after my first pair laid their first,after two days she layed an egg in the nestbox and spends some time in there.Now 3 days have gone by and she hasn't laid any more eggs and she has never slept in the nestbox.Any chance she will lay in these next days?Will she start laying on the only egg she has at night or is it doomed?I thought about giving it to my first pair but she's still laying and don't know when she'll stop.Any help is appreciated.
Thankyou

oops.just realized I posted in the wrong section.sorry about that!

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Seems like you could mark it and give it to your other pair. But if it's gone 3 nights without incubation, it may be too late. Also, is your hen (the one that's not sitting) acting/looking normal and healthy? Sometimes hens lay small clutches, but you want to make sure she's not egg bound. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou Erin.This morning big surprise.The hen layed another egg four days after her last one.now she has two eggs .I'll see if she sleeps in the nestbox tonight.now she's in there and hasn't come out at all.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked her out right now.She spent most of the day in the nestbox but now that it's dark she's sleeping outside.Must I wait for a third egg or is she neglecting them?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I'm hoping someone more experienced will come along and help out here. I haven't had anything but a normal experience with breeding. They should lay every other day and start incubating by the time the second egg has been laid (although my hen started immediately). :( Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The day after laying her second egg she slept in the nestbox and rarely comes out.she layed a third today.pretty unusual laying at 4 days interval between first and second egg and 3 days between the second and third but looking good.Hope egg number one is ok.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
layed a fourth today.egg number 1 is clear and has a crack.I removed it from the nestbox and hope she'll replace it.egg number 2 is fertile

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.