Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male and female budgie that I have prepared for breeding, and would like to know what the chicks will look like. I've done a ton of research on budgie genetics and mutations, but I'm getting confused with all the different types and colors and what not. Can anyone help? :)

Also, please don't reply back that I shouldn't breed budgies because I'm stupid or something... Everyone has to start somewhere, and I'm just asking for someone to help me out with determining what the chicks would look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm still not the best at this, but if I'm right that pairing should give 50% Light Green and 50% Dark Green. If the green is split for blue, then you'd also get some Blue chicks.
Any green chicks would be split for blue. Correct if I'm wrong, please.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
IT looks to me like your hen is a dark green opaline and your male is a cobalt normal. Assuming your hen isn't split for blue, you will get all green series birds in all three colors (light green, dark green, and olive). All males will be split for opaline. And all babies will be split to blue.

If your hen does carry blue, then all males will still be split for opaline, but you can expect 6 possible colors - light green, dark green, olive, mauve, cobalt, and sky blue.

If your male happens to be split for opaline, then you can get some opaline chicks of either sex.

Expect suprises - you never know when they might be carrying cinnamon, or albino, or recessive pied.

Sometimes I don't pick up the color quite right, so if I'm wrong on any of the dark factors of the parents, you would get different results in the dark factor of the chicks.

Dark factor determines the difference between light green (no dark factors), dark green (1 dark factor) and olive (2 dark factors) and the same way with sky blue (0 dark factor), cobalt (1 dark factor), and mauve (2 dark factors)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
IT looks to me like your hen is a dark green opaline and your male is a cobalt normal.
I agree with these mutations. Attached for comparison is a picture of my opaline dark green **** bird.

According to this chart (http://www.***************/gen_opaline.html), all the male chicks will be normal split to opaline and all the female chicks will be normal.

If the **** bird is split to opaline, then 50% of the male chicks will be normal and 50% will be normal split to opaline, and 50% of the female chicks will be normal and 50% will be opaline.

Since green is dominant to blue, all the chicks will be green. According to this chart (http://www.***************/gen_darkfactor.html), 25% will be olive, 50% will be dark green and 25% will be light green.

If the hen is split to blue, then 50% of the chicks will be green split to blue and 50% will be blue (25% mauve, 50% cobalt, 25% sky blue).

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Can you post some more pictures of your green bird? The cere doesn't look normal and a course of vitamins might help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.