Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another pair of budgies in a breeding box i didnt pair them up they bonded on there own in the avairy and i didnt want to split them up but they are a wierd couple as shes a big budgie i think a show budgie and hes the tiniest adult budgie i have seen
Anywho can someone please help me with what there babies might look like im pretty excited to see them but im not getting my hopes up until the are fully feathered chicks coming outta the nest so i dont get so heart broken if there eggs get eaten like my other pairs,
also will they be able to breed properly with there size difference?

Heres a photo of the female

her actual blue colour

The male
He looks big in this photo but hes like half the size of her

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
One of the other budgie friends told me that you can let a small male breed with a big female, but I think someone more experienced than me will come along to help. I had previously only bred with the smaller budgies. I am not good with the mutations either. As long as the breeding pair get along and are lovey dovey it is fine with me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have another pair of budgies in a breeding box i didnt pair them up they bonded on there own in the avairy and i didnt want to split them up but they are a wierd couple as shes a big budgie i think a show budgie and hes the tiniest adult budgie i have seen
Anywho can someone please help me with what there babies might look like im pretty excited to see them but im not getting my hopes up until the are fully feathered chicks coming outta the nest so i dont get so heart broken if there eggs get eaten like my other pairs,
also will they be able to breed properly with there size difference?

Heres a photo of the female

her actual blue colour

The male
He looks big in this photo but hes like half the size of her

You can go to the Mutations and Genetics thread in the Budgie Breeding section of the forums, someone can help you with that. :) I wanted to know what my budgies' offspring would look like and I got my answer

·
Registered
735 Posts
Its hard to tell what exactly you'll get since there are so many different mutations working here. But I'll try and break it apart, gene by gene.

Since both parents are opaline you are capable of getting both male and female Opaline babies.

---

Daddy is a opaline spangle and mom is a non spangle. So you will get 50% spangle babies and 50% non spangle.

---

Mom is a dominant pied as well. Since Dominant pied is dominant to normal. you'll get a chance of 50% dominant pied and 50% normal/non pied.

---

Mommy is a cinnamon and dad is a normal. So unless dad is split to cinnamon, all the babies will be normal/non-cinnamon.
If he is split for cinnamon then you will have a 50% chance of cinnamon and 50% chance of normal, regardless of gender.
---

I can't quite tell what base color the dad is. But mom is a cobalt. So she has at least one dark factor to contribute to the babies. XD

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its hard to tell what exactly you'll get since there are so many different mutations working here. But I'll try and break it apart, gene by gene.

Since both parents are opaline you are capable of getting both male and female Opaline babies.

---

Daddy is a opaline spangle and mom is a non spangle. So you will get 50% spangle babies and 50% non spangle.

---

Mom is a dominant pied as well. Since Dominant pied is dominant to normal. you'll get a chance of 50% dominant pied and 50% normal/non pied.

---

Mommy is a cinnamon and dad is a normal. So unless dad is split to cinnamon, all the babies will be normal/non-cinnamon.
If he is split for cinnamon then you will have a 50% chance of cinnamon and 50% chance of normal, regardless of gender.
---

I can't quite tell what base color the dad is. But mom is a cobalt. So she has at least one dark factor to contribute to the babies. XD
oh cool thankyou :) cant wait to see them

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
OK - not all the babies will be split cinnamon, because hens can't be split for cinnamon - it is a sex linked mutation. Then there are also the possibility of a Opaline Dom pied Spangle, which could be a very beautiful bird. Also there's no problem breeding a pet type with a show type bird.
Good luck and I will be waiting to hear the progress of this pair.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK - not all the babies will be split cinnamon, because hens can't be split for cinnamon - it is a sex linked mutation. Then there are also the possibility of a Opaline Dom pied Spangle, which could be a very beautiful bird. Also there's no problem breeding a pet type with a show type bird.
Good luck and I will be waiting to hear the progress of this pair.
ok thankyou heaps dries, BUT if hens cant be split cinnamon how come the mum is cinnamon?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well. From what I can gather, Hens can't be split to cinnamon because in order for a hen to be visually cinnamon they only need ONE copy of the gene. So they can never hide the cinnamon gene.

For a Male to be visually cinnamon they need two copies of the gene. If they only have one copy of the gene, they will appear normal but have the one copy hidden away. Aka Split for Cinnamon.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
So a hen can be cinnamon but they wont pass the gene on to there babies only the dad can do that?,

Sorry this mutation stuff confuses the hell outta me :(
A cinnamon hen mated to a non-cinnamon **** will pass the cinnamon gene to all her sons in a split (or hidden form). When these male chicks breed they will produce 50% female cinnamon chicks.

To get a male cinnamon budgie a cinnamon hen must be mated to a **** bird that has the cinnamon gene

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.