Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to let my two budgies breed, but I'd like a good idea of the types of mutations that I might get =).

As far as I can tell, Orion is a dark green spangled hen (2.5yrs old) and Lorcan is a sky blue (edit: dominant) pied male (2yrs old).

Orion's dad Hercules was a traditional dark green, and her mom Melrose was a traditional blue/white. Her older brother from the same clutch was a yellow face type II, sky blue dominant pied.

I have no information on Lorcan's genetics.

These pictures were taken with my cell so sorry for the quality.

Orion:

Lorcan:

Lorcan was about a year old here. His irises turned white as he got older.

Anyone have a clue on what these two little trouble makers would bring into the world? :D

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
well, I'm not good at the mutations. but I think they would make beautiful chicks together!!!

G

·
As far as I can tell, Orion is a dark green spangled hen (2.5yrs old) and Lorcan is a sky blue recessive pied male (2yrs old).
Orion looks like a olive green spangle by the colour of her cheek patches (silvery white). Lorcan is not a recessive pied by his body colour, probably some other mutations, maybe dominant pied. Can you post more pictures of Lorcan to confirm his mutation ?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

I double checked my research and he's dominant pied *face palm*. Got the two confused.

White belly stripe, white patch on the back of his head, clear band above his flight feathers, and the bright irises.

G

·
He's got the markings of a recessive pied from what my research said. A white stripe across his lower belly, a white patch on the back of his head, clear white flight feathers, and white irises that are usually noticeable but refuse to show up in any pictures.

He just won't hold still for the camera.

An older picture that shows his belly stripe a little better
You got another spangle. Lorcan is a skyblue spangle I think split for recessive pied if you said he got a clear patch on his head.

Spangle x spangle = 50% double factor spangle, 25% spangles, 25% normals

Colour for olive x skyblue = 100% dark green (if Orion is not split for blue)

Colour for olive x skyblue = 50% dark green (if Orion is split for blue) + 50% cobalt

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Orion might be split for blue because she has a small bit of blue color on her back, under her wings and around her vent is very blue.

Bad lighting on this picture because she was nesting on fake eggs after laying a clutch (she always nests in the food dish, stubborn chit) and I didn't want to stress her, but the blue is semi-visible.

G

·
Great. Then you can have a mix of green and blue chicks, nice outcomes.

Lorcan (I love his name so much, sounded so masculine) can be a spangle dominant pied ****. If he is these mutations, you can expect dominant pieds in the clutch too. Spangle and dominant pieds can be found in a single budgie as both genes are dominant.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
you can't tell if a bird is split for blue by looking, the darker shades of green often have a blue tint regardless. however as she had a blue parent she will be split for blue.

G

·
You will not get normals if Lorcan is indeed a spangle dominant pied ****. The outcomes will be different. By punnet squares, I can deduce the results.

Spangle (Ss) x Spangle dominant Pied (SD) = 25% spangle dominant pieds (SD) + 25% double factor spangle (SS) + 25% Spangles (Ss) + 25% dominant pieds

Keys : S = Spangle gene; s = normal gene; D = Dominant gene

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Orion looks like a clear flight pied Her stomach is all green no clear patch

both of them are are Spangle

Orion is also split to blue because her mother was blue

so you'll get blues and greens Single factor spangle and Double factor spangle

actually they both look clear flight pied not dominant pied

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great. Then you can have a mix of green and blue chicks, nice outcomes.

Lorcan (I love his name so much, sounded so masculine) can be a spangle dominant pied ****. If he is these mutations, you can expect dominant pieds in the clutch too. Spangle and dominant pieds can be found in a single budgie as both genes are dominant.
Lorcan is Irish/Gaelic for "Little Fierce One" because when I first got him, he used to run on the ground with his wings spread, trying to intimidate anything that moved. He's mostly lost his aggressive streak but every now and then he does something that tells me that I named him right =).

Little green and blue babies, with the probability of gorgeous little pieds and double factor spangles, oh I can't wait:love:.

Orion looks like a clear flight pied Her stomach is all green no clear patch

both of them are are Spangle

Orion is also split to blue because her mother was blue

so you'll get blues and greens Single factor spangle and Double factor spangle

actually they both look clear flight pied not dominant pied
Orion's stomach is completely green with blue around her vent and her wings/back of her head all have the black markings. She has no clear yellow patches anywhere on her and I believe her flight feathers had black spots in them and her tail feathers definitely have black spots. However it's been a long time since I've seen her wings grown because I trim them regularly. She has a penchant for getting herself hurt. She cut her foot on a mirror as a baby (the first and only time I let her wings grow) and later on managed to break her left leg on a jungle gym when I started to let them grow back again.

Lorcan's only clear spots are on his belly, the back of his head (a white spot about the size of a dime), and the bottoms of his wings/flight feathers. Other than that, he has the black markings as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.