Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, now I'm ready. I've set up breeding stuff: nutrient blocks, cuttlebones, nest box, nesting materials, good variety of food, and sturdy perches, etc..
So my bonded pair has mated again, and my little Pie, my light green hen, is showing signs of nesting.
Lui, her mate, is a Cobalt YF2 Clearflight Pied.
Pie is a light green split for blue.
What will their young look like?
Please, if u reply, make it easy to understand, the whole BB bb thing confuses me...:embarrassed:.....
Thanks!

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
From this pair you can light green, dark green, sky blue and cobalt blue. Some of the chicks will be normals and some clear flight pieds (assuming he is a single factor clear flight pied) Is the male a single or double factor yellowface? Depending on which one you will get some or all yellowface chicks too. Does that make sense? :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I did some Punnett squares, and if Lui is heterozygous (split) for clearflight pied then:
6.25% will be dark green yellow face type II clearflight pied
6.25% will be dark green yellow face type II
6.25% will be dark green clearflight pied
6.25% will be dark green
6.25% will be lime green yellow face type II clearflight pied
6.25% will be lime green yellow face type II
6.25% will be lime green clearflight pied
6.25% will be lime green
6.25% will be cobalt yellow face type II clearflight pied
6.25% will be cobalt yellow face type II
6.25% will be cobalt clearflight pied
6.25% will be cobalt
6.25% will be sky blue yellow face type II clearflight pied
6.25% will be sky blue yellow face type II
6.25% will be sky blue clearflight pied
6.25% will be sky blue

If Lui is homozygous for clearflight pied then:
12.50% will be dark green yellow face type II clearflight pied
12.50% will be dark green clearflight pied
12.50% will be lime green yellow face type II clearflight pied
12.50% will be lime green clearflight pied
12.50% will be cobalt yellow face type II clearflight pied
12.50% will be cobalt clearflight pied
12.50% will be sky blue yellow face type II clearflight pied
12.50% will be sky blue clearflight pied

I assumed Lui is heterozygous for yellow face type II, but if he isn't, let me know and I'll make more Punnett squares! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woah, I guess you don't need to answer my other post about Lui, thanks Miss L and thanks everyone!!!!!!!
I honestly don't know if Lui is split for YF2, I adopted him from a pet shop when I saw how gorgeous he was and because he came to my finger and touched his beak to it. HE may be, type 2 is greener (sea green, greenish teal) right? He does have a seafoam tummy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Outcome

And just another outcome question, if too slate colored keets bred, would they have more slates? (I have too birds that MIGHT be slate coloration, so I'm very curious, if you want to see pics, ask :))

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I"m not sure if he's a cobalt or not, event hough he's lighter and greener, it's just that somone else told me he was cobalt.....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Woah, I guess you don't need to answer my other post about Lui, thanks Miss L and thanks everyone!!!!!!!
I honestly don't know if Lui is split for YF2, I adopted him from a pet shop when I saw how gorgeous he was and because he came to my finger and touched his beak to it. HE may be, type 2 is greener (sea green, greenish teal) right? He does have a seafoam tummy.
I should redo the Punnett squares if he's a clearwing/greywing and such. I'll post them soon. If the female isn't a clearwing/greywing, none of the chicks will be (unless she's split for it).

Edit: If he is a spangle, 50% of the chicks could be spangles as well, and if he's opaline, all the female offspring will be opaline, while the males will all be split for it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ok, so if she's not, then their hatchlings will be split for it?
Yup! The only way the babies could be grey/clearwings is if the mother is split for it, otherwise all the chicks will only be split for it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How could you tell if the mum is split for it if you bought her??? How do you tell if your keet is split for anything????

·
Registered
322 Posts
And just another outcome question, if too slate colored keets bred, would they have more slates? (I have too birds that MIGHT be slate coloration, so I'm very curious, if you want to see pics, ask :))
Since slate is a sex linked mutation, if both birds show it, then all the chicks will have it! :) I'd love to see some pics if you have any.

·
Registered
322 Posts
How could you tell if the mum is split for it if you bought her??? How do you tell if your keet is split for anything????
You can't really tell if a budgie is split for many things. There are certainly some mutations (like split for recessive pied has some telltale signs and such), but not for greywing/clearwing. :eek:hno: At least I haven't heard of any defining characteristics that identify a budgie as split for greywing/clearwing. I hope I helped! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I've paired my dark green SFB(split for blue) male, and my light green SFB hen
I've paired my YF2 Clearflight Pied male with my sky blue dom. pied hen
and my YF1 ???Cinni Slate????? male with my ???slate??? dom. pied hen

I've mixed them up because Lui and Pie didn't bond the way it looked they had, so Lui is with the sky blue hen, and Pie is with the dark green male.

Names~
Dark Green~P-Rex or Rex
Light Green~Pie
YF2 clearflight pied~ Lui
Sky blue dom. pied~Zoey
??Cinni Slate??? YF1~ Comet
???Slate?? dom. pied~ Rocky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.