Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now i'm feeding her seed (i'd like to keep seed in her diet, maybe just in smaller quantities), pellets - which she pretty much just throws around her cage for fun, and mixture of leafy greens and peas/corn.

I'm not really good with this diet stuff, but i really really want her to lose some weight and just be a bit healthier in general. I don't have an issue with getting her to try new veggies & fruit, if it's in a bowl with some lettuce she'll give it a go. So what are some healthy options that i could add to her diet to help her slim down a bit? & also, how can I get her to eat her pellets rather than just mistaking them for a toy? Is it ok to mix them in with her other food?

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Sounds like you aren't doing bad, if you can get her to actually eat the pellets and less seed. I would definitely mix the pellet's in with other food's. Read some of our converting to pellet's sticky's....:)

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
Hi there Georgia, I have recently been advised by my avian vet to only offer seed for half an hour in the morning then remove it. Blue and Fifo are on a diet. Blue had a fatty tumour removed and Fifo has got one now. We are hoping diet will ease it and stop it from growing. So after the time for seed I remove the seed dishes, they have access to fresh greens and grass all day. They are also free flighted and do fly around and play as well.
They then get their seed dishes back at night time again for another half hour. Hope this might help you come up with a plan.

·
Administrator
55,151 Posts
I give my birds one teaspoon of seed each in the morning and another teaspoon of food each in the evening.

They have three kinds of pellets available 24/7.

I don't mix the seed with the pellets -- I put the seed on their clean newspaper for them to "forage" for it.

They get their fresh vegetables in a separate dish.

Take a look at this link for a healthy diet for your budgies:
Our Budgies Diet - Cute Little Birdies Aviary

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just curious-- how did you decide your budgie is overweight? I would absolutely recommend working on the transition to more pellets and less seeds-- perhaps by only offering seeds for a short time, as Prettyboy mentioned-- but I would also recommend shifting diet under the supervision of an avian vet.

Another recommendation-- peas and corn are relatively calorie dense veggie options (for people too!) I would serve those sparingly, and focus the bulk of veggie consumption on lower calorie choices such as kale, spinach, sweet potato, and other greens.

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
Weighing your budgie regularly is a great way to keep a record or a sure indicator that something is wrong. We all know have adept they are at hiding illness. earn how to judge if your budgie is over weight, feel the keel bone regularly and look for lumps or other signs of discomfort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.