Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm unsure, is violet rare? If so how do you get violets? And is the whole bird violet or just around the neck? :)

·
Supporting Member
1,263 Posts
I've never seen a Violet budgie before I got Sierra & Reiko - Sierra's a Violet Recessive Pied (I think?) and Reiko's a normal Violet.

G

·
Yes, violet is rare. Violet (or purple) is an added colour meaning that not a colour mutation by its own right. It must be seen visually to have violet colour, otherwise, none exists.

Violet can be single factor violet or double factor violet. Singles mean light purple colour while double tends to intensity the purple colouring more. It is hard to see violet in green budgies but in blue budgies, it shows more prominently. Violet shows in the body and not only in the neck area.

I don't have any violet in my flock. But I saw some brilliant violets in the petshops here and not buying at the moment.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
All of my birds have a violet factor. Some have the grey factor with the violet factor so it is harder to see the violet.
It is best seen in my skyblue hen and my cobalt male :)
I thought it wasn't rare since I had it in all my flock, but I know it is hard to see it visually sometimes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't think violet is rare, at least from the numbers of violets I've seen posted in forums and the fact that they have shown up in my local pet store.

I think it's partially because violet is semi-dominant, meaning it's quite easy to breed a violet budgie and get violets in your nest. As has been mentioned, violet shows best in the blue series birds, with cobalt being the best choice.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I don't think it's so rare either since I have a bunch of them in my flock. Hard to get in pictures though..

G

·
I have not seen violet budgies for months selling in the petshops. If exist violet budgies during my acquiring time, I would have grab one or two violets. Right now I have no violets in my flock of 8. This is the reason I said rare in the 1st instance.

·
Budgie Researcher
2,315 Posts
Visual violets are rare. Plenty of budgies have violet genes but look like cobalts, mauves, etc. I have not seen all that many truly visual double factor over sky blue violets... they are stunning.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I see violet in my skyblue greywing opaline yellow face male, but it is hard to see in pictures. He has it in his longer tail feathers, the back of his head, and what is left of his flight feathers. He is so pale that it is hard to see, but I am posting a photo anyway. Opinions welcome. If needed, I will take another photo when he wakes up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks :) I think my exhibition budgie has violet in him...i'll be posting photos soon of my flock (whe my cam charges) so i'll ad them then...(hopefully the purple turns out in the pics)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The thing about violet is simple. Its probably the most visually appealing colour budgies can have. It is also not commonly bred in exhibition birds, partly because many breeders cannot admit they don't know how to properly identify it + there are old wives tales about double factors violets being a myth and the genetics of violets are also confusing for many.

A LOT of pet type owners and breeders see a violet flush on the neck, shoulders or rump of their budgie and say "IT MUST BE VIOLET!" or "It must be carrying a bit of violet??". Well, 9 times out of 10 its not.

Add all that together and you understand why when people see visual violets that are unquestionably purple, they go kind of gaga :)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
thanks dean, do you have a photo of a true violet then?
I have a lot of violets, but unfortunately it doesnt show up very well on camera. The light spectrum (ie 'true color' we see in person) doesnt translate very well, especially when using flash.

I have a thread that shows the visual difference between two nest mates - one a cobalt, and the other a violet cobalt.

Here is the link: http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=45745

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I agree with Dean :)

When you see a true violet you'll know it. There's nothing else like it. Its hard to explain especially because it is very hard to capture in pictures.

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Violet is not rare as it is dominant so it is easily passed down to the chicks. To get a violet you will need to breed a violet with eather another violet or a blue budgie.
Double factor violets are the best looking :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have 2 :D a Violet Sky grey wing opaline and his brother is a Violet Cobalt Opaline but i gusse not "pure violet' but they are beautuful

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.