Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bird World Beak Organism Fence
I want to adopt one of these babies as a partner for my female parakeet, so wondering which one is a male? I think they are 4-5 weeks old…

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Why do you want a male budgie for your female? It’s best to have budgies of the same gender so that you don’t have to do the additional steps to prevent breeding. To be honest, the photo the breeder (?) provided is not the best for determining gender since it wasn’t taken in natural light. Could you get another photo taken in daylight?

Additionally, if you get another budgie, it’s important to keep them separated from your current girl for about 40 days to ensure there is no illness being passed on. However, getting an avian vet appointment for the new budgie when you can can also shorten this period if the avian vet determines the new arrival is doing fine. You should also be prepared to house both birds separately in case they don’t get along after a slow introduction!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, to ensure you’re up to date on everything, and to find more information on the above. If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Please keep us posted!

Cheers! 👋

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for kind info sharing. Well, I just wanted to find a “friend” for my girl but you are right, it doesn’t have to be a male. I’ll try to attach my female parakeet (yellow, 3-4 months old) and also another picture of those babies which I plan to get one of them. I will make sure to have a slow introduction. I have another breeding pair already with 1-2 weeks babies in a separate cage but the female one I have is alone and I wanted to find someone for her.

Are you able to say male or female of those babies with the new picture?
Also please let me know if my girl is actually not a girl 😅

Attachments

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
EDIT: Note that I had posted this message on your OTHER thread with the exact same title not realizing that you had created two threads the same nor that Starling Wings had already responded to you. So, please forgive my asking why you want(ed) to adopt and male, etc.

Your little girl is definitely a female so you will want to get her a female friend.

I agree that it would be best to have an updated picture taken in natural light - no flash and no direct sunlight.
From what I can see from the first picture posted, it appears the little gray one MAY be a female which would be great for you.
Another picture would be best as we don't want to give you incorrect information regarding the babies' genders. 💙💙💙

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Why do you want to adopt a male?
If you do so, you will have a mixed gender pair and then will need to do everything necessary to prevent breeding.

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

You would be much better off getting another female budgie so you have two of the same gender.
Female budgies can get along with one another very well, contrary to popular opinion.
In actuality, there is no guarantee that two budgies (no matter What their gender) will necessarily get along.
A male and female may or may not get along, the same for two males or two females.
Anytime you bring a new budgie into the "flock" they dynamics change.
You must always be ready, willing and able to house the budgies separately on a permanent basis if necessary.

There are many things to take into consideration before getting another bird.

Do you really want another pet

1. If you decide to get another budgie in the future, please be sure to observe quarantine for the new budgie.
Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine your new bird!
Yes - Quarantine IS necessary

It is also a good idea to always take a new budgie in to see an Avian Vet for a "well-birdie" check-up. This allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet and the vet can establish a baseline for your bird in case of any future illnesses or injuries.
If there are no Avian Vets in your area, then finding an Exotic Pet Veterinarian who has experience in dealing with small birds is the next best option.

2. Introducing the new bird to the current bird

Introducing Two Budgies

3. Flock Dynamics
Differences and Dynamics in Flocks
Your Harmonious Flock

4. Where do you plan to get the new bird?
If the time comes when you decide to get your budgie a friend, I highly recommend considering getting a bird of the same gender from either a bird rescue organization or a shelter.
These budgies need a good, safe and loving forever home.

Why you should buy from a Reputable/Ethical Breeder rather than a Big Box Pet Store

5. Vet Expense and Housing
Do you have the time, finances, etc to devote to another bird?
Are you ready, willing and able to house the new budgie separately on a permanent basis if it does not get along with your current bird after quarantine?
Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.
SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
I agree with FaeryBee, the grey one or the budgie smack in the middle would be most likely to be females but it is a bit hard to tell with the lighting, and they are still quite young. The best idea would to request updated photos in a week or so so we can be sure!

·
Registered
103 Posts
2 is a male, 1 and 4 are females.

I have no doubt's about 1,2, and 4. #3 is a little hard to see but looks more like a male.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts

I have no doubt's about 1,2, and 4. #3 is a little hard to see but looks more like a male.
You may think you are certain but until we have additional photos, the Talk Budgie staff stands by our position of not wanting to assure any members of a budgie's gender without having the necessary photos for us to be as sure as possible.
When we have sufficient photos then we will advise this member regarding which budgie is appropriate to choose as a female friend for her current bird.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you and others for kind reply. Today I got additional pictures of potential budgies that I can adopt.
Unfortunately two of original four are already adopted and I have to select one of the remaining two.

so wondering if with these new pictures, you can tell which one is a female. I renamed them A and B (not sure which one is which from original four of them together).

After reading your comments and some research, I am going to adopt a female as a friend for my female parakeet. Hope one of A or B is a female :)

Again appreciate your kind support.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EDIT: Note that I had posted this message on your OTHER thread with the exact same title not realizing that you had created two threads the same nor that Starling Wings had already responded to you. So, please forgive my asking why you want(ed) to adopt and male, etc.

Your little girl is definitely a female so you will want to get her a female friend.

I agree that it would be best to have an updated picture taken in natural light - no flash and no direct sunlight.
From what I can see from the first picture posted, it appears the little gray one MAY be a female which would be great for you.
Another picture would be best as we don't want to give you incorrect information regarding the babies' genders. 💙💙💙

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Why do you want to adopt a male?
If you do so, you will have a mixed gender pair and then will need to do everything necessary to prevent breeding.

You would be much better off getting another female budgie so you have two of the same gender.
Female budgies can get along with one another very well, contrary to popular opinion.
In actuality, there is no guarantee that two budgies (no matter What their gender) will necessarily get along.
A male and female may or may not get along, the same for two males or two females.
Anytime you bring a new budgie into the "flock" they dynamics change.
You must always be ready, willing and able to house the budgies separately on a permanent basis if necessary.

There are many things to take into consideration before getting another bird.

Do you really want another pet

1. If you decide to get another budgie in the future, please be sure to observe quarantine for the new budgie.
Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine your new bird!
Yes - Quarantine IS necessary

It is also a good idea to always take a new budgie in to see an Avian Vet for a "well-birdie" check-up. This allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet and the vet can establish a baseline for your bird in case of any future illnesses or injuries.
If there are no Avian Vets in your area, then finding an Exotic Pet Veterinarian who has experience in dealing with small birds is the next best option.

2. Introducing the new bird to the current bird

Introducing Two Budgies

3. Flock Dynamics
Differences and Dynamics in Flocks
Your Harmonious Flock

4. Where do you plan to get the new bird?
If the time comes when you decide to get your budgie a friend, I highly recommend considering getting a bird of the same gender from either a bird rescue organization or a shelter.
These budgies need a good, safe and loving forever home.

Why you should buy from a Reputable/Ethical Breeder rather than a Big Box Pet Store

5. Vet Expense and Housing
Do you have the time, finances, etc to devote to another bird?
Are you ready, willing and able to house the new budgie separately on a permanent basis if it does not get along with your current bird after quarantine?
Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.
SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
Hi, sorry to ask again but can you please have a look on the new picture to see which one could be a female? Thank you :)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with FaeryBee, the grey one or the budgie smack in the middle would be most likely to be females but it is a bit hard to tell with the lighting, and they are still quite young. The best idea would to request updated photos in a week or so so we can be sure!
Hi, can you please have a look at the new pictures? I have to go and pick the new comer up today. Thank you :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hi, sorry for short notice, today I have to pick the new bird up and was wondering of someone can help with gender of attached latest picture of the remaining two available bird. Can you please help?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
To me A looks like a female and B looks like a male. I personally am 100% sure, but of course the moderators may have a different opinion.

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
It is very clear from the updated photos A is a female and B is male :) best of luck with your little one!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is very clear from the updated photos A is a female and B is male :) best of luck with your little one!
Thank you, really appreciate it. The problem is they are so similar that I’m not sure when I go there I would know which one is A!! Any suggestion that’s easy to identify when I see them together?

To me A looks like a female and B looks like a male. I personally am 100% sure, but of course the moderators may have a different opinion.
Thank you, appreciate your reply. Will do my best to pick the A when I see both A and B together 😅😅

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you, really appreciate it. The problem is they are so similar that I’m not sure when I go there I would know which one is A!! Any suggestion that’s easy to identify when I see them together?
Males have a very bright, even pink cere, while females have a more pale pink cere that can sometimes even look whitish. You can see in the photos that A is very light pink to the point it almost looks white, and B is very clearly a deep pink, so just keep that in mind when you see them. Best of luck!

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Sorry, but I was not on-line at all yesterday. A is definitely the female and, as Prime indicated, a female's cere is much lighter - a whitish hue rather than the deep pinkish purple of a male.

Did you get your budgie?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, but I was not on-line at all yesterday. A is definitely the female and, as Prime indicated, a female's cere is much lighter - a whitish hue rather than the deep pinkish purple of a male.

Did you get your budgie?
Thank you 😊 no, I postponed the pick up to get some reply here. I will get her on Monday. Looking forward to it! Thanks again. I will upload the picture when I get her, hopefully I will pick the right one 😅

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
I'm so sorry I wasn't on-line yesterday. Do you have a color printer?
If so, you can always print out her picture and take it with you to compare the cere color. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts