Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Member of the Month October 2008
6,908 Posts
I have only ever seen a couple of Indian Ringnecks that made good pets and I have hand raised up to 100 of them and they exhibit unwanted characteristics before they have even weaned.

But their big cousin the Alexandrine is a much more gentle and laid back bird. They are smart, can talk (both sexes) and are also not as noisy as many other parrots including the Indian Ringneck. A hand raised Alex makes a great pet bird. They do have some issues when going through sexual maturity, but once that is over they will calm back down again beautifully. Should also be fairly easily obtained in India. They are basic seed eaters with the addition of fruit and vegetables, so diet is not difficult. Personal preference is for the Nepalese which is found in North and Central India and Bhutan to Assam in Northeast India. That is just India but they are also found in Eastern Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nepal.

6,908 Posts
Short of making your own Lory food you would probably have to get it via mail order. It is not possible to collect enough flowers for them to get the amount of pollen and nectar they need. They also eat and need fruit and vegetables.

6,908 Posts
I have found that with larger parrots to get a really tame one they need to be hand raised. Hand tamed birds are never as tractable as a hand raised bird. I have bred and hand raised many Alex's and while maybe not quite so cuddly they are very placid easy going birds. I had little pet type budgies that used to completely bully the Alex's. My 10 year old male (who was unfortunately killed by a Hawk) would let me take his head completely in my cupped hands, even during breeding cycle and never bite. And he was in an aviary with 5 other Alex's. Hand raised they really are gentle giants. Yes they do get a bit nippy at puberty. I didn't handle Big Bird at all between 6 and 11 months. They are also one of the easiest birds to pick their mood as when they are not happy they will pin their eyes and the pupils will completely disappear. When that happens just leave them alone. They are also extremely smart. I taught Big Bird to do a couple of tricks at first using voice and hand commands together and then with just the hand command.

They are very easy to hand raise, we that know them say they are on a par with lory's in ease of hand raising. They have really been overlooked as a pet bird as people are quite intimidated by the large beak and they don't have the colour mutations of the Indian Ringneck, but to my mind they are a much nicer bird with a superior temperament to the Ringneck and many other larger parrots kept as pets. I am biased though. I think they are just a really great bird.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.