Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Sorry I have not got pics of them all but i was just wondering who i should put with my Normal cobalt he is split ino and cinnamon

I have 4 hens to choose from

1. Light Grey Cinnamon

2. Light Green Cinnamon

3. Sky Blue Rec Pied

4. Normal Grey - Sorry got no pic of her atm

I'm not sure exactly what i would get with these pairings so i was wondering what you all would suggest. I'm not putting them down right now but would like to put them together so they have a chance to bond before hand.

Thanks
Craig

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Really depends on what mutations you want

but your 1st Grey is Opaline as well as cinnamon

if your Green is not split to blue Then you'll get all Green series birds that will be split to blue

but if you put your male to any of the blue series you'll get different shades of blues

If you put him with 1 of the cinnamon's you'll get Both males and female cinnamon's - any ino's will be female only

but what it comes down to is what do you want to breed for?

Mutation
Size
Temperament
All the above?

Depending on what you're going for that's how you figure your pairings

Like I breed for all 3 Things - Mutation , temperament and size(no particular order) so I put my best sized pairs together If I don't have 2 that are similar in size then I try to use one who is bigger than the other. I find 2 that have a nice laid back temperament and not like a kid who found 10 pounds of sugar :giggle: and then for mutations what ever I'm going for

Like my most recent pairing I put together because I wanted Double Factor Violet - Both are Opaline so I won't be able to sex in the nest because I'll get both males and females but I dealt with that (I love sexing in the nest lol) so I could get my Df Violets Both are good tempered neither one are hyper - banging off walls type of birds lol - and both were a good size to go together.

Also it'll be a while before you can breed your recessive pied she is still just a baby - maybe 4 months old at the most.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the advice.

Due to not knowing all that much about mutations I have never really tried pairing them up for that but i was more leaning towards breeding him with my Sky blue rec Pied she is 12 months old (that is an old pic) but i was not going to give them a nest box for a while yet just put them together as atm they are in separate flights.

Guess I' just trying to pair them up ready for next year so i know what new birds to get. I have been trying to find some dilutes but not having much luck:(

In regard to size does it matter which way round they are e.g larger female to smaller male

Thanks again
Craig

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
That's how I do it as well When I choose a pairing (and they didn't choose for me which sometimes they do) - I put them in a cage just the 2 of them no box just to get to know each other

I personally haven't found it makes a difference on who's bigger male or female. I've done it both ways and Got the out come I was going for.

Hi thanks for the advice.

Due to not knowing all that much about mutations I have never really tried pairing them up for that but i was more leaning towards breeding him with my Sky blue rec Pied she is 12 months old (that is an old pic) but i was not going to give them a nest box for a while yet just put them together as atm they are in separate flights.

Guess I' just trying to pair them up ready for next year so i know what new birds to get. I have been trying to find some dilutes but not having much luck:(

In regard to size does it matter which way round they are e.g larger female to smaller male

Thanks again
Craig

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If they where my birds I would breed your normal,cobalt/Split for ino and cinnamon male to your Opaline,cinnamon,grey female. You would get...

Male chicks
normal wing pattern
cinnamon
blue and grey body color
can be split for opaline, albino and cinnamon

Female chicks
normal wing pattern
blue and grey body color
cinnamon
albino
lacewing

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they where my birds I would breed your normal,cobalt/Split for ino and cinnamon male to your Opaline,cinnamon,grey female. You would get...

Male chicks
normal wing pattern
cinnamon
blue and grey body color
can be split for opaline, albino and cinnamon

Female chicks
normal wing pattern
blue and grey body color
cinnamon
albino
lacewing
Thanks for the tip i had no idea that combination could produce lacewings so i'll put these two together and see what i get. Won't be for a few months but that will give them a chance to bond a bit before i give them a nestbox.

One more thing would you know how i would go about getting male lacewings

Thanks again
Craig

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
There is only a 3% chance of getting lacewings - if the 2 genes don't combine correctly there won't be any lace wings

to get male lace wings your female needs to be a visual lace wing and your male split to lace wing Or both visual lace wings - Lacewing like ino ,cinnamon, opaline, is Sex linked. and not easy to get :giggle:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh well i'll give it a go u never know i might get lucky lol

Thanks for the info on the males too

Craig

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Your welcome

I'm trying to get lace wings in both American and English Budgies But my pair isn't cooperating at the moment lol and I haven't yet found a Cinnamon Male American and I have none in my Females to even make a Split in the males :giggle:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never really thought about breeding lacewings (everywhere i read up about it says how hard it is lol) but i have a few ino males and females and quite a few female cinnamons so i might give it a try. Just seems like its gonna take a long time and patience is not exactly my thing

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Never know it may happen right off the bat

Lindsey (Mod /member on here) has gotten them twice in a row :D

so there is always hope

I have 2 English Males for mine just waiting on the 2nd one to get old enough and to find just the right female for him

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.