Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi everyone

Since you've all been a wealth of knowledge in the past I thought I'd better come back for some new advice! I've had Percy now for 11 days.
As some of you know he was super tame when I got him, well he is he's not fazed by anything he has no problem flying and climbing onto me in my hair etc etc and normally he makes little clicking noises and sounds happy.

But in the last 3 or 4 days his behaviour has changed a bit and now often when I put my hand in the cage he makes little annoyed chirping chuntering noises and pecks at my hands or so times nips my fingers. Normally when he's out he loves me tickling his head and he fluffs up and leans over his head almost upside down for me to get him, but when I went to do it today he just pecked at my hands again....

So I've heard budgies can be like cats and its all about what they're in the mood for. I thought maybe he was just being protective over his cage now he's all settled but he did it to my fingers outside the cage this evening. I also wondered if it's because he had lots of new mirrors which he's always playing with, maybe they've made him territorial?
Or is he just confident now with his new home and he's just telling me whose boss and that he doesn't w at to come out.
I'm not sure what to do when he does attack my fingers some say ignore it other say time out or just say NO and distract??

Thanks very very much for all advice and time taken to help me and little PJ, he really is over all still the cutest little fellow ever!
:budge: ❤

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Budgies will react in a negative way and bite in response to show disapproval and to let us know they aren't happy with a certain situation.
They will also bite to defend themselves, a mate or their territory from a potential threat.

When training a pet bird, it's important to pay attention to their body language in order to correctly identify when they are receptive to us or not.
It's important that we respect the safe boundaries the pet bird has set for us in terms of the level of interaction between owner and pet.
The fact that you added mirror toys in the cage may very well have potentiated the aggressiveness on your budgie and in order to avoid more future problems in terms of bonding (as well as to avoid health issues) it's best that you take out all mirrored toys from the cage and replace them with other types of toys.

Check this link below for the detailed info on how to deal with biting:
http://talkbudgies.com/training-bonding/225961-biting-learned-often-avoidable-behavior.html

·
Super Moderator
17,998 Posts
I agree completely with the advice Aluz has offered, as well ;)

Percy may have reached the point where he sees the cage as "his" territory, and doesn't want you "poking around" unnecessarily. My budgie, Mallorn, is the same way. She's as tame as can be, but doesn't like me to touch things in her cage or put my hand in unless I'm giving her food. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
Yes those gorgeous budgies who live in those mirrors can cause all sorts of unwanted actions, best to do away with them I agree.:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fantastic thanks for your advice!

It's reassuring to know other people have experienced the same things. I actually took the mirrors out last night and put in some new swings and things instead and today he as been so eager to come out of his cage ever time I walk in the room he's climbing all over the front trying to get my attention and when he's out he's been very loving again so I'll ditch mirrors from now on.
Only thing is he did LOVE the mirror toys so much that now I'm worried he'll be a bit bored when I'm out all day, can anyone advise me on their budgies favourite toys that keep them entertained?

Thanks everyone very much once again!

·
Banned
0 Posts
I agree with the mirror theory. Once I took in a rescue budgie that bit really hard. Eventually he knew I was no threat to him, quite the opposite once we created some games to play with each other. When I'd leave him alone, I'd put his mirror in his cage. When I got home, he'd fly to me and while he wasn't looking I'd take it out of his cage and put it back only when he was alone.

Mark :budgie::budgie:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.