Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blue dominant pied budgie, who is about 8 months old. She's had her first molt already, but she hasn't lost the stripes across her forehead. I've always heard that budgies lose the striping after their first molt, so why hasn't she? The stripes didn't even get lighter, and they still extend all the way down to her cere. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
She may not have gone through a full moult. Generally they do at about 3 months of age, but unless they moult all the pin feathers of the head then they may not replace the baby feathers.

Alternatively, you budgie could just have a lot of melanin and the adult feathers retain the striations. A picture would help. Are you sure she is 8 months?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's definitely 8 months old, and I've had her since she was 2 months old. I got her almost right after she was weaned. I think that an incomplete molt probably is the most likely, but she's a pretty strange bird herself, so extra melanin wouldn't be surprising.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll get some photos up as soon as I can, but any ideas would be great. Also, if you know How this works too, I'm really curios.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.