Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did the pied budgie come to the name " pied" budgie? why is it called pied? I was just wondering because during a conversationm with my grandmother and she was asking about the bird I wanted and it came up. " well do you know Y that they are called pied ?" and i replied I never thought of it. Do I am asking you if any one knows why the mutation is called pied?

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
I would assume because of the splotches, and in other species of animals, that was called a "pied" varition, so I would assume it was adopted from another species.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Hi. The word 'pied' means a large unpigmented area. Just like the white patch on the back of their head. Sort of splotched.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
There is always a reason:

Taken from the site: www.word-detective.com

"Magpies are known for three characteristics: their striking black and white plumage, their raucous calls, and their habit of collecting strange assortments of things in their nests (bits of string, shiny objects, etc.). The magpie's feathers gave us the adjective "pied" in the 14th century, meaning "streaked or marked with black and white" (as in a "piebald" horse, the "bald" referring to the white patches). "Pied" was later extended to mean "multicolored," as in the "Pied Piper" of the fable, who was dressed in clothes of many colors."

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
There is always a reason:

Taken from the site: www.word-detective.com

"Magpies are known for three characteristics: their striking black and white plumage, their raucous calls, and their habit of collecting strange assortments of things in their nests (bits of string, shiny objects, etc.). The magpie's feathers gave us the adjective "pied" in the 14th century, meaning "streaked or marked with black and white" (as in a "piebald" horse, the "bald" referring to the white patches). "Pied" was later extended to mean "multicolored," as in the "Pied Piper" of the fable, who was dressed in clothes of many colors."
I also was told the name pied was given as generally the pied variety will be made up of 3 colours ???? With recessive - the 3rd is hidden ???

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Thank you for those who really tried to explain and not just gives a feeble answer.

Debbie you are write about the 3 colours of a pied, but I can't remember where it originated from.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, thank you for the answers. I had asummed because of the pattern in their feathers. or the spoches i belive you called them? I was some were but not quite there. but thank you for the answers. and I do apreciate the definitions and not.... i think......
It does give me a better understanding of how pied got here and why it's called pied. Thank you:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.