Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well despite the fact of predicting what color your budgies may be when they are babies
what is the use of knowing the mutation and genetics???

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I think it only matters if you breed show budgies and enter them into competitions. There are different categories to enter them in according to their mutation.

If you have a winning show budgie and you want to sell him/her, then the buyer would certainly want to know what mutation he/she is and what they might be masking or be split to.

Winning budgies can be sold for a lot of money, so these budgies will be bred to create (hopefully) more winning budgies. As you said, the mutation should be known so that the breeder knows what type of mutation the babies might be.

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,824 Posts
Kelsey's right in what she says. When we show birds we show to a particular standard. There are standard colours and then also with the combination of wing markings. If a bird is outside those standards it has to be shown as an AOV (Any Other Variety). Birds in the AOV class cannot go up for the Grand Champion Prize. They can only win their class.

The bloodline is also important as you can put 2 different bloodlines together and they will produce really good birds as their genetics compliment each other. Where as 2 other bloodlines go against each other and produce very mediocre birds.

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
I just think it is fun to try and predict what you will get. I know I was very surprised to see a recessive pied in my bunch. Also people may want to breed for certain colors or if they are a breeder offer up a good variety for their customers. For instance if you have a dominant green partnered with any other bird, green is all you will get in your bunch(I think).

·
Registered
251 Posts
some genes like the Visual Crested if paired with another Visual crested pass a "lethal" gene onto the chicks where a percentage or all will die. Plus the "feather duster" is genetic so its worth knowing about genetics and outcomes of crossing budgies. ;)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I don't think it's important to know about genetics at all. It's just that some of us find it very interesting and others, like me, are obsessed by it. Some very successful breeders of show budgies only have a very limited understanding of genetics yet they seem to manage

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I don't think it's important to know about genetics at all. It's just that some of us find it very interesting and others, like me, are obsessed by it. Some very successful breeders of show budgies only have a very limited understanding of genetics yet they seem to manage
Thats very true nev. One of the largest breeders (200-300 birds) i visited who is also one of the top show competitors told me "i dont really bother with the genetics stuff". Obviously having an understanding of varieties is important for classes and specifications, but as far as genetics goes, its not absolutely necessary for showing.

Im also fascinated by genetics myself :)

·
~Crazy Bird Lady~
2,309 Posts
I just find it fascinating. I love being able to look at a Budgie and say that particular bird is a ......... . It is also fun (to me) to look at a pair and figure out what they should produce and then when you get something different figure out where the hidden gene came from :)

Keeps the wheels turning up there ;)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I don't show birds

but I like to know what mutations I am getting before hand

around here people are wanting certain colors and that's it -not for show- for pets and or their own breeding stock

So knowing what my birds genetics are and what the mutations are going to be is important for my breeding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.