Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,807 Posts
They would have to be aviary escapees that have adapted and become feral.

I think that is a pied green. I know the colour over the rump appears blue but because the face colour is still pink it is a green series bird and not a blue. If it was blue the face would be white.

I will not swear to this as I am very rusty on my lovebird colours and genetics.

Lovely bird though.

·
Administrator
59,672 Posts
Kate,

Thank you -- I don't know about mutations to even venture an opinon other than I think he's gorgeous! :D

Until I saw his back, at first I thought he was a lutino peach-face like my Peachy. :eek:

Of course, now I'm thinking little Peachy would be SUPER handsome with that blue or green coloring on his little rump. :giggle:

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As the story goes there were 100 or so released in downtown Phoenix in the 70's. They have survived and "naturalized" and have been expanding their territory since. They showed up here and around my house in the last 3-4 years. I am about 15-20 miles from downtown.

This last year psittacosis has been killing a few. About 8 months or so ago a lady a couple miles from where I work had 30-40 dead in her yard. Fish and Game tested them and it was psittacosis that got them.

When I received the baby that was rescued from work the first thing I did was take her in for psittacosis testing and a DNA test. She came back clear. I will get some newer pics of her, Avocado, when I can. She still says "Hi baby" everyday which never gets old and I think she is saying "Your my good girl" which I say everyday to Jaz next to Avocado to help with the jealousy :).

·
Registered
63 Posts
As the story goes there were 100 or so released in downtown Phoenix in the 70's. They have survived and "naturalized" and have been expanding their territory since. They showed up here and around my house in the last 3-4 years. I am about 15-20 miles from downtown.

This last year psittacosis has been killing a few. About 8 months or so ago a lady a couple miles from where I work had 30-40 dead in her yard. Fish and Game tested them and it was psittacosis that got them.

When I received the baby that was rescued from work the first thing I did was take her in for psittacosis testing and a DNA test. She came back clear. I will get some newer pics of her, Avocado, when I can. She still says "Hi baby" everyday which never gets old and I think she is saying "Your my good girl" which I say everyday to Jaz next to Avocado to help with the jealousy :).
I looked up the story of how they became to prosper in Arizona, very interesting!

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
It really is impressive how these lovebirds were able to adapt into living the wild, that little fellow absolutely gorgeous! :love:

I'm also looking forward to seeing some pics of your Avocado! :D

Reactions: FaeryBee

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He is absolutely stunning. I always love to hear successes like this of the birds adapting to an environment. His mutation is gorgeous! :love:

What a sight to see flying around. These pictures made me smile, Rick, thank you ;)
Don't know if you want to call it a success story or not. As the Lovebirds are coming in they are taking over the nests in the Saguaro cactii and displacing the Cactus wrens and others. It is kind of nice to see them all flying around though. The property at work is 125 acres and I would say there are over 100 Lovebirds around the property. The most I have seen in one spot is in two palm trees by the lobby area. There were about 25 or more at once in the two trees.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
As the story goes there were 100 or so released in downtown Phoenix in the 70's. They have survived and "naturalized" and have been expanding their territory since. They showed up here and around my house in the last 3-4 years. I am about 15-20 miles from downtown..
Something similar happened with Quaker parrots near the NYC/Philly area years ago, they have adapted and now have wild colonies. I guess they are considered "nuisance" birds though because they will build big nests around power lines and stuff, they are illegal to own and/or sell in Connecticut and I think Pennsylvania. I saw something about it on tv once.

That LB is gorgeous! Would be so cool to see them in the wild, sad about the disease spreading though :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.