Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a bit curious about breeding. Only thinking right now, I'm not going to take any actions until I feel comfortable with everything and have gained enough knowledge about the topic.

I have a Lutino male at the moment. I've been thinking about getting him a pal for a while now, as I'm starting uni soon and would like him to have company during the day and while I'm busy. I'm not bothered of the sex of the new budgie I'm thinking of getting, but if I HAPPENED to get a female, and if my circumstances became that of possibly being able to breed them, and this new pal was also a Lutino, are these two colours compatible?

I'm just wondering as I thought I might have read somewhere Lutino's do not breed as healthy budgies as other colours might.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have been breeding budgies for about 13 years. I have bred many colors and patterns including lutinos. I haven't found that breeding any color to itself produces ill chicks more than the other. I have heard the same myth about recessive genes in budgies but that's all they are myths.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
There are no lethal genes colour wise in budgies to my knowledge.

You do get lethal genes in cats, guinea pigs etc where by if you breed two of the same together it kills the offspring. Such as manx cats for example, manx cats can only carry one copy of the gene that causes them to be totally tailless, if you breed two cats who are fully tailless together then the offspring have 2 of that gene which is lethal and kills them. Very simple explanation there lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that sounds awesome then, thankyou everyone for your replies!
While I'm here I have another question. Will two Lutino's ONLY produce Lutino's?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.