Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby budgie is getting its first feathers now and I was wondering if this will be the colour that it will grow up with or will the colour change during molt etc I have added these pics to my journal ...........but what colour do you guys think it might be ?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awww do you think so I dont mind what it looks like really just wanted to know if you could tell what colour they will be .......... and yes I will be keeping these 2 for sure but I have another budgie sitting on eggs so will see how many I can keep hopefully all :)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I agree she looks like a normal green (like her dad). I think she could be any shade of green (light green/no dark factors, dark green/one dark factor or olive green/two dark factors) due to her parents' coloring.

She's a cutie!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree she looks like a normal green (like her dad). I think she could be any shade of green (light green/no dark factors, dark green/one dark factor or olive green/two dark factors) due to her parents' coloring.

She's a cutie!
Thank you .........can u see the blue on his/her face will that be the cheeck patches or may blue be in there some where ?

·
5,435 Posts

yes this is a pic of Mum and Dad
Good! Most mutations have violet cheek patches like your birds.

Dad is normal green (he looks dark green/one dark factor in that photo) and mother hen is normal blue (she looks cobalt blue/one dark factor in that photo). Since green is dominant to blue, and both parents are normal, all of the chicks probably will be normal green like dad. You could get other mutations besides normal if one or both birds are split to that mutation. (A "split" mutation is a hidden mutation that isn't known until a bird reproduces.) For example, if dad is split to blue, you'll get 50% green and 50% blue chicks. And/or if dad and mother hen are both split to recessive pied, you could get some recessive pied chicks.

Please continue to post pictures. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
..agreed green chick!......

...but there is always a chance that there could be a yellow face(YF), even in this green chick..only problem, you won't know this as the green chick will have same "standard yellow face" in the yellow-series bird (being green), as apply to dad...this despite such "proper yellow-face(YF)" (associated with white-series, in blue birds) gene coming from mom...

...will have to test breed to be sure, if such green chick has indeed inherited such YF from mom...

The parest are stunning!...enjoy them...and do post more,as baby grows!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

...but there is always a chance that there could be a yellow face(YF), even in this green chick..only problem, you won't know this as the green chick will have same "standard yellow face" in the yellow-series bird (being green), as apply to dad...this despite such "proper yellow-face(YF)" (associated with white-series, in blue birds) gene coming from mom...

...will have to test breed to be sure, if such green chick has indeed inherited such YF from mom...

Thank you so very much my chicks are growing fast ........ I ma feeling a little confused over the colours now I agree the big one is looking more and more like dad each day however the little ones feathers are coming in and the look white maybe off grey colour :embarrassed:I cant be sure its to early will update with pics tomorrow thanks again

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

OK confused even more look at the colour of the little one LOL

·
5,435 Posts
The younger chick is going to be a normal blue like momma (although not necessarily the same shade of blue).

Your chicks are adorable! :loveeyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.