Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've just come back from the city. I bought a nice nature-green nylon net. The holes are 1" across, I can barely fit my index finger on, it gets wedged in before the first knuckle. I know for a fact it's too small for my birds to even attempt to put their heads through, but it's large enough not to pose a tangling hazard. There were smaller sized holes but I worried it could twist up their feet or get them all tangled.

My question is: can I use this nylon net to divide the room in two? It's extremely robust and sturdy. I can't see it fraying, it'd most likely just snap if they chew it. It's also an inert material, so the most dangerous thing it poses is as a choking hazard but I don't see them spending enough time chewing it for it to be interesting to them.

Let me know.
Brown Mesh Fence Wood Line

· Registered
101 Posts
To me I am sure my bird could get through a one inch hole if he really wanted to. And I also think he could still get tangled in it if it hangs slack at all. But if you hung it so that it was very taut it might not tangle. Give it a try and just be prepared in case. And then if it works great! If not you can find something that will.

Since your goal is just to keep birds separate and if they did get through all that would happen is they are in the same space again, it seems like a possible solution to you that can be handled quickly if it didn’t work out.

· Administrator
60,902 Posts
I would definitely not use that as a room divider. Just as spacing larger than 1/2" is dangerous for budgies, the holes in that netting will be dangerous as well.
Additionally, I would not risk the danger of entanglement in the twine.

Using nylon netting or a sheet would be a much better option.

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll return the net and get one with 1/2" holes or smaller, but I don't think it's possible. I can't even stick my finger in the hole past my first knuckle, I really don't think it's big enough for a budgie. I even measured the hole and it's showing 1/2" so it must be the weird naming convention. For some reason, my brain seems to think that larger holes are less inherently dangerous as a form of entanglement, because there's more space for them to move a trapped limb out and away. A smaller hole seems more likely to grasp, twist and trap.

· Premium Member
Not to disappoint other budgie owners, but I have the cutest, sweetest little bird in the world!
234 Posts
I would definitely not use that as a room divider. Just as spacing larger than 1/2" is dangerous for budgies, the holes in that netting will be dangerous as well.
Additionally, I would not risk the danger of entanglement in the twine.

Using nylon netting or a sheet would be a much better option.
I love your idea of a sheet!!! You can pick solid colors or a pretty pattern. I bet you could hook some toys to it as well!

· Registered
101 Posts
IKEA makes some room dividers that are attached to rails on the ceiling and then you slide them back and forth. They come in panels so you add more for more width in the room. That would be the most convenient thing to try if you can.

The panels are a stiff fabric. Some have decorative holes in them so I would avoid those.

Here’s an example of what I mean though I don’t know if these ones are IKEA
Plant Furniture Table Houseplant Wood

· Registered
101 Posts
I would advise against the ikea ones, I have automated blinds that have the same material (albeit thicker). My birds will happily chew holes through it unsupervised.
Yes, I guess it also depends on if the separation wall you are wanting is something they will land on and work on chewing up or not. Or would it just be a barrier that they pretty much ignore while they go about their fly time on opposite sides. Also, would the birds still try to fight through the barrier, which is what I thought about when you mentioned the netting above.

The awesome barrier I got in my place, turns out that so far he has never flown toward it or clung onto it. So I probably could have gotten away with something cheaper and simpler or even just hung a sheet as suggested above. But the reason I couldn't do that is that my barrier has to be truly fail safe, because it is keeping him away from the kitchen and the front door. So even though he never tests it (so far) it still had to be fail proof. If it just had to keep him out of an area but not for safety reasons, and I could easily get him back to the right area if he got around it, a lot less effort would have been needed for it.

· Premium Member
Not to disappoint other budgie owners, but I have the cutest, sweetest little bird in the world!
234 Posts
It could seem totally impossible but budgies are very, very small and can get stuck in 1" holes. They really are 50% feathers when we are looking at them! Members above have offered some great options 👍
Yes! Better safe than sorry! And taking into account the thread could of the divider material and how taut it is. Dond want little claws getting caught in them. I really, really like FaeryBee's idea of a bed sheet. I even have an idea about how it could be installed to ensure they can't get to the other side through the top 😊!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts