Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
Sorry for posting ANOTEHR thread in mutations and genetics:eek: I really do suck at it:eek:
So first of I have Macadamia and Ozzie. is is a Dilute Opaline Grey, Macadamia a normal blue.
So I have bred the 3 times now and here were the outcomes:
One normal grey & One gray/Black
Two normal grey, One gray/Black & 1 normal blue
One normal grey & One gray/Black.

So obviously i am gonna get those same mutations nearly everytime I breed
So the first time I got this pretty colour I kept it
Grey/Black. Her back is like a mottled stripes and splodges

That is Willow. My first ever chick. The colour also shows some steel blue/grey in the light if that makes sense.
I bred her with a normal WF Violet, Romeo, and I got 3 normal greys.
So if I bred one of the normal greys would it throwback and would I get violets?
And also how come I keep on getting greys all the time when Macadamia is blue?

Macadamia Willow and Romeo

Romeo:

Ozzie:

One of Willow and Romeo's chicks. It just had normal stripes down its back

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think because grey and blues... are practically on the same hues... and you only need one grey to get them.. so adding a blue it makes it liek the blue was grey too... I read something like that but don´t remember.. maybe I´m so wrong... I´ll check it up again... now
I´m intrigued hehe

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Willow is an opaline grey (Grey is a colour adding factor and it is added to sky blue which is showing through)

Romeo is a normal violet (Violet is also a colour adding factor, Romeo’s base colour is cobalt)

I’m not sure about Macadamia except that her wing pattern is normal. She could also be violet with sky blue as the base colour

Ossie is a greywing grey (not sure of the base colour)

Macadamia & Ossie should produce about half grey chicks and half blue but it might take several clutches before the average comes right

Willow and Romeo should produce about 25% grey, 25% violet, 25% normal blue and 25% that are both grey & violet.

If you bred one of Willow and Romeo’s grey chicks you would not get violet unless you could pick one that was both grey and violet (which might be hard to see because they would probably just look grey)

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Ok thanks :)

So if I bred Romeo and Willow again the chances are 25% grey, 25% violet, 25% normal blue and 25% that are both grey & violet.

Also you said Ozzie is a Greywing grey? Someone said last time i asked he was a Dilute Opaline Grey?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I'd say ozzie is actually an opaline greywing grey, but he COULD be a dilute. Head bars and neck are opalescent, and the body colour is present in the wings. The grewying dilutes his body colour, which can make it tricky to ascertain whether or not he is a greywing or a dilute, sicne some dilutes can look like greywings too!

Greywing/clearwing/dilute are some of the most confusing and difficult mutations to judge by eye alone. It often comes down to the breeding history and knowledge of the owner in regards to a particular birds parentage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.