Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Greenleaf, Piper, and Olive
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m just curious why my budgie Greenleaf’s been lifting her wings lately. She kind of holds them a little bit away from her body and sometimes lifts them further away for a few seconds. When she does this they shake a bit, but I don’t think she’s in pain or anything, since her feathers aren’t fully flattened and she sometimes does this while grinding her beak.

Shes also been especially obsessed with her favorite toy this week. She plays with it for hours, literally. I’m wondering if the wing lifting is a problem or if it’s just a behavioural thing.

It has been really hot these past few days but shes been doing it today so I’m not sure if it’s because of the heat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She’s been acting fine these past few days although I saw her doing the wing lifting a couple times.

Also, she just laid an egg. Should I take it out immediately and rearrange her cage right away?

Oh also, last time she laid an egg she got a bacterial infection after, maybe because she was weak. How can I help prevent that happening this time?

·
Super Moderator
5,595 Posts
Yes I would dispose of the egg how long between the recent egg and the one before? The bacterial infection may not have been related to the egg, The reproductive and the GI tract all go through the cloaca so the bacterial infection may have been a GI infection.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The last time she laid an egg was at the end of February.

I was thinking that she got the bacterial infection because laying the egg weakened her maybe?

·
Super Moderator
5,595 Posts
The normal laying of an egg should not cause a bacterial infection unless the egg breaks inside, then you have a big problem but it does not sound like that is what happened. Chronic egg laying can cause problems and can deplete the calcium in the body which can lead to egg binding and muscle weakness but I would not consider one egg every 6 months a chronic egg laying situation. How much light does she get on a daily basis? Her obsession with her favorite toy may be the reason for the egg as the toy seems to have stimulated her. Have you seen this article When We Don't Want Eggs!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She gets about 12 hours of darkness every day, but today I’ve covered her cage with a towel so she sleeps longer and the light doesn’t wake her up.

She’s definitely obsessed with her favorite toy, although when I watch her play with it it really looks like she’s trying to break it or something. She plays with it constantly, maybe even for six hours every day. But I took it out yesterday so maybe that’ll stop her laying more eggs.

I also moved her cage to a slightly different location.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah she’s pretty confused… but the good thing is that since she isn’t playing with it 24/7 she has energy she wants to get rid of and she’s coming out of her cage! She was a cage bird for a lot of her life but for the past year I’ve been trying to get her out and she came out a bunch of times. Lately though she hasn’t because she’s been obsessed with the toy. But now she’s coming out eagerly! :) She got spooked and flew around a bit and landed on the floor but she didn’t bump into anything and she flew back up by herself.

Is there anything I can do or give to Greenleaf to make sure she doesn’t get sick after laying the egg like last time? I’m going on a trip soon and I’m not sure what I’d do if she gets sick. Or do you think her getting sick after laying an egg last time a coincidence?

·
Administrator
59,441 Posts
There is no way to predict the answer to your question.
Laying eggs is extremely hard on a budgie’s body.
Lack of proper levels of calcium and nutrients can weaken the bird’s immune system.

Rearranging her cage completely every couple of days, moving the cage to different locations in the room or to different rooms and limiting her daylight hours to no more than 8 hours per day will help discourage laying.

However, if she is a chronic layer she may require Lipton injections by an Avian Veterinarian.

Have you been consulting an Avian Veterinarian regarding the situation?
If not, I recommend you do so.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m not consulting an avian vet right now because it’d cost money and my family would spend money for the avian vet only if she’s acting sick. If she starts acting weird though I’ll definitely bring her over.

Greenleafs acting fine right now, but some of her droppings look more watery than usual. I did see her drinking water several times today though, so could it be that she’s drinking too much?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,595 Posts
If she is drinking more than normal you need to ask why, is it too hot where you are? If the droppings continue to look loose it is not a good idea to wait until you see symptoms of illness, things are easier to treat before things get so bad that she is exhibiting signs of illness and when you wait you are causing her to suffer needlessly and sometimes treatment is more difficult and less effective.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, we’re having a bit of a heat wave right now, right now it’s about 27 degrees Celsius. Could that be the reason she’s drinking more?

Her droppings have kind of always been loose though. I’m going to change the paper lining of her cage to something white so I can see her droppings better.

She’s drinking water again… maybe she’s overheated. I sprayed her with water and she really enjoyed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The usual temperature we like to keep our home at is ~21 degrees Celsius but it gets hot during the summer.

I’ve also noticed that Greenleaf’s feet are always warmer than Piper’s so maybe she gets overheated more easily

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Greenleaf’s droppings are looking a lot better all of a sudden. A few hours ago they had a ton of liquid and the solid part wasn’t well formed, but now the solid part looks normal and there’s a lot less liquid. I did put some apple cider vinegar in her water so maybe it’s working?

She’s also been acting happy all day, she’s just been sleepier than usual, but when she was napping she was on one foot. She was very chirpy during meals.

I’m gonna see how she is in tomorrow. I’ve also lined the bottom of her cage with paper towels so I can monitor her droppings better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts