Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would the outcomes be if Greyhawk (m) was mated with Chiffon (f)
And if Greyhawk(m) was mated with Ethyl(f)?
Greyhawk(sky blue spangle)

Chiffon(YF2 Albino)

Ethyl(Sky blue greywing)

Ethyl's 2nd from left.

Thank you rick

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'm going to try, but just remember I'm no expert.
When you pair a sky blue Spangle to a skyblue greywing you can expect all skyblues - some will be spangles. You will not get any greywings unless the spangle is split for greywing.
The pairing to the YF albino is difficult, because you don't know which colours are being masked, but you will get blue birds and some will be spangles and some yellow faces.
Surprises can be waiting , because you don't know what they are split for.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Dries has got it right

Sky blue spangle male to yellow face albino female
Without knowing the dark factor of the albino or what mutations she is masking or what mutations either of the birds are split for we can't be sure about the outcome. If there are no other factors involved the outcome would be:
25% spangle blue
25% yellow face spangle blue
25% normal blue
25% yellow face blue

Sky blue spangle male to sky blue greywing female.
Assuming no splits:
50% sky blue spangle
50% sky blue normal

I'm sure you realize that the birds are far too young to breed at the moment

·
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I know they are too young. I am just trying to figure out the genetic thing. Thank you for your responses. On the sky blue greywing I can find out the parents for about 4 generations or so back, on the spangle and albino I dont know.

How many generations back do hidden factors factor in?

Thanks again , Rick

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hodden genes can be carried for many many generations - I really don't believe that one can be a 100 % sure of the genetics of a bird - there's alway a chance for a surprise, but if you can go back for 4 generations that would be a great help.

·
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to email the breeder. She gave me the names of the parents 4 generations back, of the 6 birds I got from her because I told her I wanted to breed some and wanted to make sure there were no brother/sisters or close relations. So hopefully she will take the time to tell me what the parents were. I find this whole genetic thing very interesting and I would like to get to know half as much as Nev and all you others here.

I would also like to look into breeding for health and lifespan. It seems that in the last 20 years or so alot of emphasis was put on color. And with the show birds, size. I dont know how I am going to go about it, but with everyones help I think it can be done. The lifespan in the last 20 years has gone down. I think together we can make it go back up. Maybe it is a pipe dream maybe not. I have a few years left to try.

rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.