Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying desperately to get my babies to eat fresh fruits and veg but they have absolutely no interest in it at all. Ive tried whole pieces chopped pieces cooked raw ect... i don't want them to eat just seed because it cant be very healthy for them and i want them to have a long healthy life, any other suggestions.

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
This indeed is a common problem you are not alone. Converting a budgie's diet takes time and patience and sometimes a little cunning.
Try them with some broccoli, thyme, basil, carrot. Some like it grated ,some whole, some mixed. The trick is they need to learn it is food. Place a small mirror underneath the food they might see the other budgie eating it.
http://talkbudgies.com/articles-diet-nutrition/315033-healthy-diet-your-budgie.html

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pretty boy i will definitely give the basil a try and shredding the carrot. Even the seed mix they eat everything that is small seed and leave dried fruit and vegs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sometimes birds will accept new foods if you sprinkle some familiar seeds on them. I always wash my greens before serving them - and while they are damp, I sprinkle a little seed or green peas on them to make it more "interesting".

I am fortunate that my Budgie is a very good veggie eater. I give him (thawed) frozen peas, carrots, and corn - or just green peas - and he loves them. He also likes to chew celery stalks.

Reactions: satma and deriksen

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yay they finally ate fresh shredded carrots today. :D It wasn't a ton but its a start. Thanks for the tips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.