Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my male budgie is about 5.5 years old, i 100% know he is a male, been to the vet for yearly check ups, I give him bottled water (Reverse osmosis with no added stuff) cuttlebone, Harrisons pellets and Dr Harvey's seed.

I notice last few days or so his cere seems to be turning brown. I hear its a sign of testical cancer for this to happen to males and their bodies not producing hormones properly!!!!

I am freaking out, I had this budgie for all these years and pretty spent all day every day with him and if he dies Idk what I will do. Also I am so angry because there is only 1 aviary vet near me and she isn't in today and she is booked until TUESDAY, but they said if I call tomorrow morning first thing I MAY be able to get in on an emergency care appointment....FREAKING OUT!!! Also it's like 5 degrees F outside and just taking him in the car is a huge risk!!

Otherwise they closed saturday and sunday, i can try to get an emergency appointment on monday, or ill have to wait til tuesday.

What should I do? What do you guys think?

Otherwise he is active and singing like normal

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that your little one may be sick. The best you can do right now is to keep him comfortable, and get to your vet as soon as you can.

When you take him in, put him in a small travel cage or carrier, or even a small box if you don't have the others. Wrap a towel or blanket around the box to keep any old drafts out, and warm your car before heading out.

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
When a male's cere turns brown this is known as feminizing because there is too much estrogen being produced, sometimes by a tumor.
If the regular vet that he sees is not an avian vet or a vet with a great deal of experience with birds it would be best in this situation to find a vet that is an avian vet. I had a bird years ago with this issue, you may find that the vet will want to x-ray him at some point. A common treatment for this are injections of Lupron and anti inflammatory meds. Please keep us posted after the vet visit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When a male's cere turns brown this is known as feminizing because there is too much estrogen being produced, sometimes by a tumor.
If the regular vet that he sees is not an avian vet or a vet with a great deal of experience with birds it would be best in this situation to find a vet that is an avian vet. I had a bird years ago with this issue, you may find that the vet will want to x-ray him at some point. A common treatment for this are injections of Lupron and anti inflammatory meds. Please keep us posted after the vet visit.
Thanks yeah i will update after the vet visit. My vet is an avian vet and I've seen her before and she is really smart and knows her stuff so I have faith she will do a good job, I'm just annoyed that it's so difficult to get an appointment right now! Tomorrow morning I'm gonna start calling them from like 5 minutes before they open and just light their phones up and hopefully I'll be the first one to get through and I can get in on her urgent care slot which is first come first serve

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Thanks yeah i will update after the vet visit. My vet is an avian vet and I've seen her before and she is really smart and knows her stuff so I have faith she will do a good job, I'm just annoyed that it's so difficult to get an appointment right now! Tomorrow morning I'm gonna start calling them from like 5 minutes before they open and just light their phones up and hopefully I'll be the first one to get through and I can get in on her urgent care slot which is first come first serve
I can sympathize about the appointment availability, about a month ago I woke up to a vomiting bird, thankfully the vet saw him that morning, I have another that has to have his beak trimmed every 3 weeks so I booked appointments for the whole year :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I went to the vet. She says its testicular cancer. However she says the tumor is so small she cannot feel it with her finger yet and for now it's best to just keep doing all the things I'm doing and keep an eye on him and maybe check back every 6 months or so or if he starts to look like he is suffering. Because for now there is no sign of any other infection and he is still acting the same, only difference is the cere color.

There isn't really anything else you can do because even if I opted for surgery I would have to go to a big hospital and it would cost thousands and it would be so risky that it's arguably better to not even do it and after all that assuming he survived the procedure, the tumor could come right back! Otherwise there aren't really any solid treatments for this. Everything is pretty hit or miss with risks.

She says this happens because of pet stores inbreeding but also because in nature it is a population control where some male budgies will get this to keep them from breeding.

I been reading a lot online and I've read about iodine, knotwood and dandelion powder. She says she doesn't recommend I use iodine, maybe because I'm using harrisons pellets, she doesn't know about knotwood but she says dandelion powder should be okay so I'm gonna buy some and add it to the food. I too am a bit hesitant to get knotwood cos it seems all the knotwood i can find online is like tea leaves grown in china, so maybe I think the dandelion powder is a better plan!

Anything else you guys can recommend?

thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Feeling sad and I want to cry every time I see my budgie knowing he has cancer :crying2:

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Feeling sad and I want to cry every time I see my budgie knowing he has cancer :crying2:
I understand how you feel as I have been in the same situation. :hug:Did you discuss Lupron injections for your bird with the vet, that is a common treatment for this condition and although not a cure it can help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand how you feel as I have been in the same situation. :hug:Did you discuss Lupron injections for your bird with the vet, that is a common treatment for this condition and although not a cure it can help.
Yeah I asked about Lupron since you mentioned it but she said as of right now she can't feel the tumor and would rather just wait for now. And also the Lupron injections will cost thousands of dollars and may not even help!

You said you had a bird with this issue and you gave him Lupron? What ended up happening?

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Lupron injections should not cost thousands of dollars, at least not in the United States, where are you located? The tumor will likely never get large enough to feel but it may be able to be seen on an x-ray. In addition to the cere on my bird turning brown he also had a problem with his left leg as the tumor was pressing on the spinal nerves to the leg and would cause his leg to twitch and get stuck in odd positions. He was started on a course of Lupron injections as well as daily doses of Metacam. This helped to reduce the leg issues which eventually cleared up for the most part with just a twitch once in a while. The Lupron may help to shrink the tumor and the Metacam reduces inflammation so any internal swelling is reduced. My bird was treated for 3 years with a good quality of life before he passed away. As with any treatment the sooner it is started the better.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Anecdote: When my girl was getting her Lupron injections (for chronic egg laying) it was $40 per injection, and I believe it was every two weeks to start then once a month. I'm in Canada but I don't see how it could be that much more expensive elsewhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lupron injections should not cost thousands of dollars, at least not in the United States, where are you located? The tumor will likely never get large enough to feel but it may be able to be seen on an x-ray. In addition to the cere on my bird turning brown he also had a problem with his left leg as the tumor was pressing on the spinal nerves to the leg and would cause his leg to twitch and get stuck in odd positions. He was started on a course of Lupron injections as well as daily doses of Metacam. This helped to reduce the leg issues which eventually cleared up for the most part with just a twitch once in a while. The Lupron may help to shrink the tumor and the Metacam reduces inflammation so any internal swelling is reduced. My bird was treated for 3 years with a good quality of life before he passed away. As with any treatment the sooner it is started the better.
Okay good to know. For now she says I should wait because he is still acting normal right now and the only symptom is the brown cere and later we can use treatments to manage his pain. Do you think that is a good plan? What should I do right now? I can't find any other avian vets near me and she is a good one i have seen her for many years. She said for now I should just wait and if he starts acting different or in pain I should bring him in, otherwise she wants to check him again in 6 months.

@justmoira okay good to know, maybe i was confused with something else

Also you guys know anything about dandelion powder? i see people talk about it on the internet but it all comes back to 1 post here on talkbudgies and i cant find any other reference for it and im wondering if maybe the poster was just BSing cos her pics dont show the budgie ever having a brown cere and it seems too good to be true....

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
I am not a vet but I don't know why one would wait to begin a treatment until things get worse. Knowing what the issue is I would not wait 6 months for a recheck, I would probably recheck in 3 months, sooner if any new symptoms appear. I tried dandelion root powder, it did not seem to make a difference but there is really no way to be sure as that was not the only treatment he was getting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel like the person who posted about the dandelion powder was lying. The only source I can find online about dandelion powder helping budgie cancer is posts made by her and other people referencing her posts on various forums on the internet. In all the pictures she has posted her budgie's cere is blue, but we are supposed to just believe her when she says the cere was as brown as a female but turned back to blue because of dandelion powder.

I mean heck I hope she was right and dandelion powder will help my budgie, but it seems very fishy to me. From my experience these naturopath/alternative medicine type things are pretty much always BS.

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
I feel like the person who posted about the dandelion powder was lying. The only source I can find online about dandelion powder helping budgie cancer is posts made by her and other people referencing her posts on various forums on the internet. In all the pictures she has posted her budgie's cere is blue, but we are supposed to just believe her when she says the cere was as brown as a female but turned back to blue because of dandelion powder.

I mean heck I hope she was right and dandelion powder will help my budgie, but it seems very fishy to me. From my experience these naturopath/alternative medicine type things are pretty much always BS.
A controlled study would have to be done in order to really prove if the dandelion has any merit and as far as I know that has never been done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I give my birds knotgrass and you can find it on Amazon.

Organic Knotgrass
Hey thank you for sharing the link! How much do you give them? Do you also give them dandelion powder? They dont seem to like the dandelion powder and i feel bad giving it to them, wondering if maybe i should just stop it? I saw that knotgrass on amazon and seems most people use it as a tea and it's been decaffeinated which i assume means its been processed a lot, can it be given to budgies? Do you just sprinkle some of the knotgrass on top of their food?

·
Administrator
55,085 Posts
You do not have to give the knotgrass as a "tea". You can simply give the knotgrass to your budgie in a separate dish.

I've used dandelion powder in the past and simply sprinkled it over their food. I didn't really see that it did much.
I believe that clean dandelion leaves (organic with NO pesticides or fertilizers) would probably be better accepted.

You can buy "herb salads" which are dried herbs and plants that contain dandelion and chickweed.

Take a look at this thread and specifically the link within it on knotgrass if you haven't seen it yet:

Holistic Remedies to help with Tumors

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Faery. His Knotgrass will come in the mail today.

Sadly it's getting worse :sad: It pains me to see him like this :crying2: But at least he still seems happy and curious and active. I hope I can face my death with the same strength as you Buddy :crying2:

·
Administrator
55,085 Posts
Please let us know how things progress.
Sending lots of love, prayers and healing energy for Buddy. :hug:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts