Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone just a quick question

I was wondering if to get a YF Type 2 i would have to actually start with one or if they can be bred from 2 YF Type 1's or anything else???

I have tried looking around for more information about the YF gene but it all just seems like a really confusing mutation (probably just me :S) which i am starting to regret looking into a bit lol

Thanks for any help
Craig

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
nope it is not just you Yellow Face genetics is complicated

you can get type 2 yellow faces by breeding 2 Yellow Face type 1's
If you just have one Yellow Face type 2, any yellow face babies will be type 1 if you take two type 2 yellow faces and breed them together, You'll get Type 1, Type 2 and DF type 1 With a DF type 1 it visually appears to be a White Face (normal) But genetically it's a Yellow Face and will produce 100% Type 1 yellow faces

That's how its been explained to me many times - But honestly I gave up trying to understand how the yellow face gene works :giggle: it gave me too many headaches

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope it is not just you Yellow Face genetics is complicated

you can get type 2 yellow faces by breeding 2 Yellow Face type 1's
If you just have one Yellow Face type 2, any yellow face babies will be type 1 if you take two type 2 yellow faces and breed them together, You'll get Type 1, Type 2 and DF type 1 With a DF type 1 it visually appears to be a White Face (normal) But genetically it's a Yellow Face and will produce 100% Type 1 yellow faces

That's how its been explained to me many times - But honestly I gave up trying to understand how the yellow face gene works :giggle: it gave me too many headaches
Thanks for the info Kelli i know what you mean about the headaches i have been trying to do a bit of digging about it myself but they all start throwing out words like heterozygote, homozygote and cross over values which to me means absolutely nothing:S

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Thanks for the info Kelli i know what you mean about the headaches i have been trying to do a bit of digging about it myself but they all start throwing out words like heterozygote, homozygote and cross over values which to me means absolutely nothing:S

I know when I come across articles with words like that i'm yelling at my screen saying "WHAT SPEAK ENGLISH PLEASE! I don't understand this Scientific stuff I'm not scientist!

or the "mutant 1 , Mutant 2" articles soon as I start reading one with those words, my brain goes to the teenage MUTANT Ninja turtles and I start singing the dang theme song in my head :laughing:

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The information you have been given is incorrect.

The three yellow face mutations are unrelated to each other. You CAN'T produce one type by breeding from another type. If you wan't to breed one type you must have birds who have genes for the type you wish to breed

The three types are mutant type one, mutant type two and golden face. All three mutations come in both single and double factor

A bird can have genes for two types in the same way as they can have two kinds of any other mutation

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
well that's how it was explained to me by many different people. most of who have been breeding for many years.
but what do I know I am told one thing and others are told something completely different - nothing knew there.. I see it all the time!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna pair up 2 of YF type 1's (I don's have any type 2's:() and see what i get.

Just gotta work out who to use now and start conditioning them up so won't be for a while yet but im sure you will know when it happens as i'll be posting pics asking what they are as im still pretty useless at that lol (although i'm getting a a very very tiny bit better)

Thanks again
Craig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.