Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have six baby birds, and both parents are blue budgies. Today we were handling the babies and the 2nd chick has developed yellow tail feathers!! Will this little guy be yellow and blue?
Baby

Mom dominant pied cobalt violet

Dad recessive pied sky blue

Siblings

·
Administrator
57,046 Posts
I don't know but the little guy is adorable!!
Mom and Dad are beautiful birds so he's bound to be very handsome.

·
Lil' Birdy Girl
3,790 Posts
He is so cute, but I can't tell yet. By the way, neither of the parents have a blue mutation. They are violet (mom) and sky blue (dad). I am pretty sure about mom, but I am not 100% sure about dad. I know he is not standard blue. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is so cute, but I can't tell yet. By the way, neither of the parents have a blue mutation. They are violet (mom) and sky blue (dad). I am pretty sure about mom, but I am not 100% sure about dad. I know he is not standard blue. :) Good luck!
Mom has the violet factor, but since violet is only a color adding factor she is still blue. Dad is a sky blue and I don't think he's a violet. Thanks for your help.
I don't know but the little guy is adorable!!
Mom and Dad are beautiful birds so he's bound to be very handsome.
Thanks!! I totally agree!!:D

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Do you know what the parents of the adults looked like? (the grandparents of your babies) Sometimes colors can skip a generation... what a nice surprise!! :)

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
That looks like his tail is dirty to me, lots of my young chicks have yellow looking feathers at the ends, give it a couple more days to see the true colour.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I agree with Amelia it looks like the feathers are slightly stained.

The only way a pair of white face birds could produce a chick with yellow feathers would be if one of the parents was a double factor mutant type one yellow face. If this was the case all the chicks would show the yellow.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with Amelia it looks like the feathers are slightly stained.

The only way a pair of white face birds could produce a chick with yellow feathers would be if one of the parents was a double factor mutant type one yellow face. If this was the case all the chicks would show the yellow.
That's interesting, baby 1 has also developed yellow tail feathers too. Maybe it's just a stain on both.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
both birds are blue! and sky blue is the Standard "normal" blue! Cobalt blue is 1 dark factor Normal(sky blue) is no Dark Factor and the 3rd blue is Mauve (it looks like a mix of a greyish blue) and its 2 dark factors

there are only 2 series of birds - Green Series(yellow based) and blue series(White Based) - These birds are Blue series(white based)

not sure how you can say the birds are not blue - they're not green so they Have to be blue - plus it is obvious they're blue Both are Blue in color doesn't matter if one has a violet factor or not its still Blue! If they were Green Series they'd be either Green or Yellow

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
The nest box is not very dirty. Since we clean it at least once a day.
What do you use as bedding? Newspaper will also stain feathers but on light colored birds the slightest poop their tail drags through seems to stain quickly I have a hard time keeping any of my mainly white birds clean as babies - it gets easier as they grow up of course :D

Never mind I went back and looked you use Carefresh :D so it's just they find poop for their tails to go through and they get stained up - its nothing to worry about and as they grow up it'll be replaced with a clean tail :D

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Well it seems that the yellow tails are not from stains since now the oldest 3 chicks are developing yellow faces!!:D
If they are developing yellow faces it means that one of the parents is a mutant type 2 yellow face. If this is the case all the chicks will be yellow face. It could be either parent

If it is staining it could come from the food

·
Registered
96 Posts
If they are developing yellow faces it means that one of the parents is a mutant type 2 yellow face. If this is the case all the chicks will be yellow face. It could be either parent

If it is staining it could come from the food
Nev, did you mean to say double factor mutant type one yellowface, like you mentioned up above?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.