Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me identify this baby of mine. (The quality of pics are bad, sorry)

The dad:
013.jpg YF (2) Cobalt RP???? Must be split opaline, because one of the babies is an Opaline

The mom is a Violet Cobalt Opaline

The baby:

241120111309.jpg

241120111311.jpg

241120111315.jpg

YF(2) Cobalt RP (Is it possible that it can be a clearflight as well. It is possible that the dad's dad could be a clearflight pied.)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The chick is a yellow face recessive pied cobalt. (Could also be opaline)

There is only a slight spread oy yellow on the dad so the yellow face type must be either type 1 or double factor type 2. If it is double facor type 2 the chick will be single factor type 2

It can't be clearflight pied as well as recessive pied because if it was it would be a dark eyed clear. The dad could be dominant pied and recessive pied combined but the chick is clearly only recessive pied

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stupid of me thinking that it could be a clearflight as well - I know that makes DEC - one of the mutations I want to breed. Thanks for the reply. The Dad can't be a dominant pied, because I don't have dom pieds, I have a couple of RP's that are poorly marked - almost looking as if it could be a DF dom pied.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Stupid of me thinking that it could be a clearflight as well - I know that makes DEC - one of the mutations I want to breed. Thanks for the reply. The Dad can't be a dominant pied, because I don't have dom pieds, I have a couple of RP's that are poorly marked - almost looking as if it could be a DF dom pied.
are you sure they're not a combo of Dominant pied and Recessive pied

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are you sure they're not a combo of Dominant pied and Recessive pied
If it is a combo then there's a dom pied that I can't see. Like I said - I've bred quite a few that I and others here on TB thought it was a combo, but I just can't figure out who is the dom pied and I don't get dom pied babies - I would love some!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
If it is a combo then there's a dom pied that I can't see. Like I said - I've bred quite a few that I and others here on TB thought it was a combo, but I just can't figure out who is the dom pied and I don't get dom pied babies - I would love some!
Are you breeding them with other pieds or normal's?

when you have combo's or suspect you do it is best to breed to a Normal - preferably one who you know is not split to recessive pied.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You see at this stage I'm mainly doing colony breeding, but I'm in the process of getting my aviaries in order to do more cage breeding. The above mentioned baby was the first pet type bird I've bred in a breeding cage. I'll keep your sugestion in mind when I'm doing further breeding with these pieds.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for replying so fast. Can you believe it - I can't remember if the other 2 babies have yellow faces or not? Will look in the morning. This is the first time that I can determine the mutations of a baby and in a way of the parents (for my pet birds) and it is exciting - although not a huge variety of mutations in these birds. All I know is that the dad must be split for opaline because one baby is opaline; the mother is opaline as well.
BTW can you tell if it is a male or female? Don't think it is possible with those pics, but asking any way. I think it is male because the cere looks a nice deep pinkish colour.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All 3 babies are Y faces. So that means that dad is in fact a DF YF. (Almost 100 % sure.) I will test him with another hen later.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dad is either a double factor YF mutant 2 or double factor Goldenface. I lean more towards the Goldenface because the chicks is more in line with what a single factor Goldenface looks like in Recessive Pied as that age. If the chick was a single factor Mutant 2 it would not show such a depth of yellow in the secondary tail feathers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.