Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered and no one has really been able to answer my question regarding my hen's mutation. Now she has three chicks that are just like her and I'm still wondering.

This is Cielito a yellowface recessive pied..

...which I paired with a dominant pied opaline and produced three gorgeous yellowface chicks:

Sora - a yellowface dominant pied

Azula - a yellowface dominant pied opaline

Sirius - a yellowface dominant pied

Only I'm not sure which type of yellowface they are? they've all molted and still the yellow doesn't touch the blue of their bodies but it spreads everywhere else.

It's on their mask, flights, even chest and back.. all over just not the blue. It never bleeds into the blue to make it green so they remain blue which is gorgeous! but it confuses me :S

I think I've been told they are YF2 but if they are why isn't the yellow spreading into the blue? The yellow is also very light, hard to see in the pictures but it's in all the white of their bodies.

This is my other hen Luna, who is unrelated to them but has the same characteristics

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Sorry I can't help Corina - hopefully Nev or Tonic will come along soon.

All I can say is................ they are the cutest and I wish I was nearer to you :)

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I'm very interested to see this resolved as I have a yf recessive pied that is yellow everywhere except for his blue patches. His head, neck, wings, tail and half his chest are yellow (his mask is a deeper yellow than the rest). His blue is not seafoam and he's had a good molt.

·
Registered
75 Posts
they re all very beautiful.I m not sure at all but I think
Cielito is a cobalt recessive pied yellow face type 2 hen
sora is sky blu dominant pied yf 2 ****(i can t see if he s got iris circle?)If isn t he s maybe recessive pied or a combinaison of both pied mutation.
Azula is a opaline sky blue yf 2 recessive pied hen.
Sirius is sky blu dominant pied yf 2 ****(but no iris circle like sora ?)....2 pied combinated?
Luna is a cobalt recessive pied yf 2 hen.I hope nev or tonic will confirm exact or not??Sure they re beautiful

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they re all very beautiful.I m not sure at all but I think
Cielito is a cobalt recessive pied yellow face type 2 hen
sora is sky blu dominant pied yf 2 ****(i can t see if he s got iris circle?)If isn t he s maybe recessive pied or a combinaison of both pied mutation.
Azula is a opaline sky blue yf 2 recessive pied hen.
Sirius is sky blu dominant pied yf 2 ****(but no iris circle like sora ?)....2 pied combinated?
Luna is a cobalt recessive pied yf 2 hen.I hope nev or tonic will confirm exact or not??Sure they re beautiful
All three of Cielito's chicks are dominant pied split rec.pied. still young but they all have iris rings, just not very clear yet.

Cielito and Luna are recessive pieds, my only confusion regarding their mutations is the yellowface type ;)

·
Registered
936 Posts
great question Corina!! i couldnt answer it and be 100% sure i was right. but ill have a guess anyway, i think they are all YF1 for the reasons you stated the yellow not leaking into the blue.
my YF2 sky blue recessive pied hen (Acacia) the yellow has taken over her whole body turning her blue into a green.
cant wait to see what others think.
and again beautiful pictures of your stunning fids.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I'm not sure whether this will help but ...

I was similarly confused when my one white-faced sky blue **** bird paired with two different white-faced cobalt hens produced 12 yellow-faced sky blue and cobalt babies (normals, dominant pieds and recessive pieds), all of whom not only have YF1 yellow masks, but also yellow body coloring that does not turn their blue bodies green enough to be considered YF2! As the experts here explained, the white-face **** bird is a sky blue double factor yellow face type 1 normal (split for recessive pied) and consequently none of the offspring can be YF2; instead, they are YF1 with yellow "suffusion."

I hope Nev, Dean or Tonic come along soon to explain your situation. :p

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i would sat yf mutant 1, the yellow is quite light especially where it has spread a bit. i would expect a yf2 to have much stronger yellow on the face, and more obvious yellow on the white areas.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sora almost looks like a double factor dom. pied. Is that even possible if the hen is recessive pied and the **** is dominant pied?
Not possible, Nev said sometimes dominant pieds have very few markings.

All are yf type 2, yellow spreads in their body and wings.
As they get older the yellow will show up much more.
That's where my confusion is, Cielito is almost 3 years old and her yellow never spread to the blue and it's also very light. Same with Luna she is almost 1 year old. The chicks I can't tell yet but they've had two molts already and still blue, my single factor goldenfaces are already all green and they are the same age.

All I can say is that they are all SO BEAUTIFUL :loveeyes:
Thank you :D

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I think they are type 1 yellow face. The spread of yellow on a type 2 would be much greater. On some type 1's the yellow will spread slightly into some of the white areas but not into the blue. This of course is not acceptable if the birds are being shown

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think they are type 1 yellow face. The spread of yellow on a type 2 would be much greater. On some type 1's the yellow will spread slightly into some of the white areas but not into the blue. This of course is not acceptable if the birds are being shown
Thanks for stopping by :D

Yellowface type 1 then, I actually love the way it spreads all over without touching the blue. Very unique looking.. just so very confusing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i would sat yf mutant 1, the yellow is quite light especially where it has spread a bit. i would expect a yf2 to have much stronger yellow on the face, and more obvious yellow on the white areas.
It seems you and Nev are in agreement so I'll go with that they are YF1 :D
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I agree YF1. YF1 do have some spread into the chest/wings, but YF2 would change all the blue to a seafoam green or lime green colour which hasnt happened.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hey! All these arguments, but does it really matters if its a type 1 or 2 yf? Interesting though!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey! All these arguments, but does it really matters if its a type 1 or 2 yf? Interesting though!
To me it doesn't really matter, they are gorgeous all the same. But I like to understand my flock's mutations ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.