The Training of Elsa - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Taming and Bonding > Training Journals


Training Journals Keep track of your training progress here with a training journal.

Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Griff's Avatar
Griff (Kassy)
Young Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Griff is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1/2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 749
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 396
Rep Power: 5
Griff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really nice
Default The Training of Elsa

I've decided to start a training journal to help myself and others.

Elsa is an 11 month old(?) female budgie. I'm questioning her age because she was originally a pet store budgie. I've owned her since April 21st. I have yet to see too much trust from her, but I'm working on it. She has started to show her personality. She likes to scream at my mom's rescue dog, Lily. She ignores my dog's special needs dog, who has recently been rehomed to us. She also seems to not be very fond of men. Perhaps this is because my dad tried to grab her from her cage when I was out of the room.

Yesterday afternoon was my first serious training session in a while. I kept me hand still on the lowest branch for 15 minutes. Because of late start Wednesdays at my school, I got ome extra time to work with her this morning. She was still in her roosting spot, on some slanted bars in the top right of her cage. My hand was resting on the top branch and to to the side, which was about 5 or 6 inches away from her. She was a bit more relaxed and more interested in me. She kept cocking her head back and forth. Her chest wasn't moving as fast, so I took that as a good sign.

I'm about to change her food and water, and then start another 15 minute hand session. Wish me luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Griff's Avatar
Griff (Kassy)
Young Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Griff is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1/2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 749
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 396
Rep Power: 5
Griff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really nice
Default

I just finished with Elsa's 3rd training session. I'm very happy with what we've done today. It may not be much, but it's a lot compared to the last five months. The lower branch in her cage is forked, and the front fork extends to about 1 inch from the cage door. She was calmly sitting right across from my hand. The gap between the forks in about 4 or 5 inches, and my pointer finger was extended about halfway between. She only looked at it, and looked at me, but I see it as progress.

I was also impressed that when Lily barked at children playing outside, that all Elsa did was turn her head sideways. This surprised me because Lily is an APBT/Greyhound mix, and has a very loud bark. I've also confirmed that she likes me much more than my mom's boyfriend. Elsa actually scooted towards me when he walked through the room!
  #3  
Old 09-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Haven's Avatar
Haven (Nick)
Hatchling
 
Profile:Haven is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Toronto Canaduh
Posts: 201
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 111
Rep Power: 5
Haven will become famous soon enoughHaven will become famous soon enough
Default

This sounds good Griff, you seem to be building up some trust already and are showing Elsa you are willing to spend the time with her.

Keep up the good work.
__________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Griff's Avatar
Griff (Kassy)
Young Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Griff is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1/2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 749
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 396
Rep Power: 5
Griff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really nice
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven View Post
This sounds good Griff, you seem to be building up some trust already and are showing Elsa you are willing to spend the time with her.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks, Nick!

We finished up our session for today. I've decided that I'll do one session on Mondays, Tuesday, Thursdays, and Fridays, and two sessions on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

I was very impressed with Elsa today. While I was changing her food and water, I noticed she had picked a new obsevation spot. This was news to me because she usually chooses to watch from the very back right of the cage. I'm assuming because it's the farthst she can get from my hand. But this afternoon she was perched on her top branch, which is closest to the cage door, so she was a few inches from my hand.

It didn't last, though. As soon as I extended my finger to set it on the perch, she hopped to the back right of the cage, what I call her safety spot. Though when my mom and her boyfriend walked through, Elsa did scoot enough so that she was perched opposite my hand on the back fork of the lower branch. What's more, is that she started preening herself in front of all of us, even while my mom and her boyfriend's voices were a bit louder that normal. I'm pleased with her progress.
  #5  
Old 09-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Hatchling
State:
 
Profile:budgiecakes is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 3
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 193
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 271
Rep Power: 6
budgiecakes is a jewel in the roughbudgiecakes is a jewel in the roughbudgiecakes is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Thanks, Nick!

We finished up our session for today. I've decided that I'll do one session on Mondays, Tuesday, Thursdays, and Fridays, and two sessions on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

I was very impressed with Elsa today. While I was changing her food and water, I noticed she had picked a new obsevation spot. This was news to me because she usually chooses to watch from the very back right of the cage. I'm assuming because it's the farthst she can get from my hand. But this afternoon she was perched on her top branch, which is closest to the cage door, so she was a few inches from my hand.

It didn't last, though. As soon as I extended my finger to set it on the perch, she hopped to the back right of the cage, what I call her safety spot. Though when my mom and her boyfriend walked through, Elsa did scoot enough so that she was perched opposite my hand on the back fork of the lower branch. What's more, is that she started preening herself in front of all of us, even while my mom and her boyfriend's voices were a bit louder that normal. I'm pleased with her progress.
Good job Griff!! You'll be great friends with Elsa in no time!
  #6  
Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Griff's Avatar
Griff (Kassy)
Young Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Griff is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1/2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 749
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 396
Rep Power: 5
Griff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really nice
Default

Thanks, budgiecakes! I hope Blue and Kiwi's training is going well.
  #7  
Old 09-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Griff's Avatar
Griff (Kassy)
Young Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Griff is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1/2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 749
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 396
Rep Power: 5
Griff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really nice
Default

After I had my dinner, about a half hour ago, I brought a thin slice of apple up for Elsa. I put it in her treat seed cup, but she's just been hunched over and staring at it. She occasionally looks at me. It appears that she might be saying "What is that THING you put in my cup?!"

Hopefully she'll get used to it soon, though. I'm trying to see what kind of treats she likes for when I can start training her more
  #8  
Old 09-26-2014, 09:18 PM
Griff's Avatar
Griff (Kassy)
Young Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Griff is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1/2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 749
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 396
Rep Power: 5
Griff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really nice
Default

I tried a slightly later training session today. Unfortunately, not much progress happened today. Maybe because it was night outside instead of late afternoon sun. I have a timer set for 15 minutes for each session. When the timer hit 9 minutes, I took a break to let the dogs out. When I came back, Elsa was sitting in the middle of the back portion of the forked perch. Curious, I tried setting my finger a couple inches away from her on the same fork she was sitting on.

Unfortunately, she scooted over to her safety spot. She stayed there pretty much for the entire remainder of the session. I'm not giving up, though. I know it'll be a while before she trusts me too much. Oh well. Maybe she'll like me more tomorrow. But she was a little more chatty today. She was probably telling on the dogs
  #9  
Old 09-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Griff's Avatar
Griff (Kassy)
Young Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Griff is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1/2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 749
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 396
Rep Power: 5
Griff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really niceGriff is just really nice
Default

Yesterday, I unintentionally gave Elsa a break from training yesterday, but we're back at it. Not much happened today. She perched on the far left on the top branch, very close to my hand while I changed her food and water. As soon as my hand came in all the way, she went to her safety spot. I'll have to figure out how to coax her away from it. She let me get pretty close to her, about 3 inches. I didn't push it, though.

What amazed me is her patience with cameras. Up until this afternoon, I've only ever taken pictures of her with my phone. Today, I had my iPad up against the bars, and she didn'tmove away. She's never even seen it before, but she looked at me. I actually got a pretty good picture:


If anyone has any suggestions on how to coax Elsa out of her corner, the're welcomed!
  #10  
Old 09-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Hatchling
State:
 
Profile:budgiecakes is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 3
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 193
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 271
Rep Power: 6
budgiecakes is a jewel in the roughbudgiecakes is a jewel in the roughbudgiecakes is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Yesterday, I unintentionally gave Elsa a break from training yesterday, but we're back at it. Not much happened today. She perched on the far left on the top branch, very close to my hand while I changed her food and water. As soon as my hand came in all the way, she went to her safety spot. I'll have to figure out how to coax her away from it. She let me get pretty close to her, about 3 inches. I didn't push it, though.

What amazed me is her patience with cameras. Up until this afternoon, I've only ever taken pictures of her with my phone. Today, I had my iPad up against the bars, and she didn'tmove away. She's never even seen it before, but she looked at me. I actually got a pretty good picture:


If anyone has any suggestions on how to coax Elsa out of her corner, the're welcomed!
You're doing great Griff!
what a pretty budgie you have there

does Elsa like millet? try taking her food away for 3 hours before you start trying to offer millet. Cut it into a length the size of your thumb and offer it slowly. Make soft reassuring noises!
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.