I posted about 3 months ago about my budgie Django that I bought from Petco and was having issues with bonding and taming. I'm still having a lot of issues. Not really sure if I'm having any progress- definitely nothing significant.
Moving into a new apartment with my boyfriend in June so I hope that won't set us back.
What I've been doing:
- talking to her
- singing to her
- sitting near her cage and letting her get used to me (she also lives in my room with me- my roommate has a cat so it's the "cat free" area of our apartment)
- not trying to touch her or get her to step on my finger (she still freaks out and flies around the cage if I even put my hand in there to clean it or change the water)
- telling her what I'm doing ("I'm changing your food" "I'm taking your water" "I'm putting your water back in" "I"m opening the door" etc)
Here are some things that have happened in the past few months:
- I bought her a bigger flight cage so she could have more room to exercise and play. She definitely seems more comfortable and moves around more. Still doesn't play with her toys though.
- My roommate's friend came over and asked to "see" my budgie because she used to have some. I brought her into my room and she immediately went up to the cage, opened the door and tried to pet my bird
Django freaked out and I was not happy at all. She said "if I had millet she'd let me touch her." Ummm... no. Who does that? I don't even pet other people's dogs
without asking, let alone an untamed, caged animal.
- She's began to vocalize a lot in my presence. Sometimes she'll make these cute quiet chirping and whistling noises and sometimes she'll screech and scream. I'm wondering what different sounds mean.
- I have not found a food that she likes enough to eat in my presence. She is either too scared of me or doesn't care much for food (have tried seeds, millet, fruits, veggies). Even if I'm just sitting by the cage ignoring her.
So some good things, some bad things.
I've been thinking about
- trying to find a bird trainer/behaviorist to give me some personalized tips
- rehoming her to a more experienced bird owner
- buying her a friend budgie because she's not bonding to me and I don't want her to be lonely.
- carrying on with what I'm doing now. Progress is slow, if there's been any actual progress at all. I'm up for that if you guys think I'm capable of taming this bird eventually but I'm not really sure about my capabilities as a first time bird owner.
I saw my last post from February was closed so I'm doing a journal now so I can continue with updates and getting advice.