Jan. 5, 2018
Hello, this is my first time owning parakeets and using this app, so I hope to receive some helpful feedback! Iím still in school, but I have plenty of free time after school, though it might be different once I go to high school.
Currently, I have two budgies in the same cage that I gotten on different dates:
ē Misty- (left) Gotten on Nov. 6, 2017
Info: Believed to be a female since sheís hostile towards Stormy when it comes to food, also a bit territorial. Not too afraid of my hand since I had her longer and can also step up only if thereís treats. Bites my finger if Iím too close for comfort or nibbles for fun?
Random fact: she loves the song, ĎProblemí by Ariana Grande?
ē Stormy - (right) Gotten on Dec. 7, 2017
Info: Was terrified of hands and human movements, but recently came to slowly warm up to it. Very skittish to human activities and submissive towards Misty, so perhaps a male? (Also does a lot of head bobbing) Can eat from hand and would occasionally put one foot on before putting it back, or when Misty decides to scream at him. DEFINITELY a squawker, rarely chirps (Does this mean anything or am I just paranoid?)
Misty use to get out of the cage before I gotten Stormy, so she wouldnít get out unless Stormy goes along. After I tame them (mainly Stormy), I hope that I can finally let them explore outside their cage.
What I been doing during taming sessions:
(Not in order)
- Placing my hand on each sides of the cage for about 5-10 minutes (I read out loud on my phone about anything interesting to me during this)
- Putting my hand in the cage for about 15-30 minutes (Read/talk to my budgies or watch YouTube)
- Having food/treats on my hand in the cage and let them come to me (Can take a while in the beginning, but have patience) Keep the hand with the food/treat away from the budgie/s, but make sure they can see it!
- Talk to them in a normal voice (Some say to speak softly, but I prefer letting them get use to my normal voice)
- During the day randomly walk by the cage without looking at them or the cage itself, so that they warm up to people move around near the cage (Donít pace around the cage since they might view you as a predator)
Some advice I need:
Both of my budgies donít eat fruits or veggies, so I been putting vitamin drops in their water. They stopped pooping green, but now the poop color is light brown. Should I keep using the vitamin drops or is there a way to make them to eat fruits/veggies? Is there any taming tips I should start doing? Also, my parakeets also started their molting, anything I should doing during this period?
p.s I donít really know the format of Tapatalk, so letís hope I did this right!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk