My little budgie (around 5-6 months old) seems to be going through her first moult. Her baby bars had started receding already when we brought her home 2 months ago but she has only now started losing lots and lots of feathers. I was wondering if you have any advice on how to make this as pleasant and healthy for her as possible.
1. I've read that they need more nutritious food and energy during their moult. I usually give her a bit of boiled egg once or twice a week. Should I offer her egg more often (and if yes, how often) now that she is moulting? She seems to prefer the egg white but which one is healthier?
2. How often should they bathe or shower when they are moulting? My older budgie usually enjoys a bath once a week but isn't so keen during the week. The little moulting one has only once had a quick dip. I'm not sure if she's got the concept of hygiene yet.
Anyway, should I spray her regularly and if yes how often? Is there any disadvantages to bathing/showering more often as long as they stay warm?
3. Are there any other foods recommended especially for moulting? She eats leafy greens (or any green vegetables, really) every day apart from her seed mix but doesn't seem keen on other things like carrots though she did try a bit of cooked sweet potato yesterday. I mix a bit of flax seeds in with her seeds but she's never touched them. She also doesn't eat Harrison's pellets (neither of them do
4. I've seen moulting vitamins/supplements in pet shops. Should I get those? If yes, any particular type? I usually give both my budgies a vitamin mix that I got from the vet in their water every second day since my older budgie seemed to have a bit of vit A deficiency (and her beak looks much, much better now). Should I just continue with that or get her something else? Is it possible to overdose on vitamins? I know that humans can overdose on some vitamins like vit A so I'm a bit worried even with their current dose. My older budgie doesn't eat any vegetables (or anything apart from seeds) and the younger one just nibbles a bit on them but also prefers seeds.
5. Anything else I can do or should be aware of?
6. How long do first moults last on average?