So after several looong weeks of Kiger not being on his A game, two vet visits and antibiotics I found Kiger this morning pooffed up and not all that keen on eating. After offering him some seeds from my hand he promptly vomited them back onto my hand. (he was able to eat some a little later that he kept down.) So I made some frantic calls (the avian vet is tough to get in touch with so when we cant get her we go to the exotics vet she recommends.) we are off to the vet. They looked him over, listened and heard some sounds with his lower air sacs, took a fecal swab fresh from his vent and we waited. Vet comes back its Gastric Yeast infection. She perscribes anti-fungal meds, but they don't have them in stock so the game plan is they will be in tomorrow.
YAY we finally have a diagnosis. They think this was probably what happened a few months back when we had the seeds in droppings episode. Boo, I have a sick bird and I can't medicate until I have the meds (obviously...).
Does anyone have any hints,tips,ideas/words of comfort, to get me through tonight? He was all kinds of squirmy energy at the vet, but at home he is just sitting on his favorite perch puffed up and sleeping. I'm going to offer him more seeds from my hand once I'm done posting here, but aside from that I'm lost as to what to do.
Good Mojo vibes are welcome too.
I'm sorry to hear your little fellow has AGY.
There are several articles in the forum with information that should be very helpful to you.
I would suggest you discuss using Sodium Benzoate in addition to the anti-fungal medication with your Avian Vet.
Additionally the diet you give you budgie will need to be adjusted so talk to your Avian Vet about that as well.
For tonight, just keep him warm and calm.
I would recommend that you not try to force him to eat this evening.
I'm sure the vet trip was quite stressful for him and he needs his rest.
You can offer him either millet soaked in electrolyte solution or just use electrolyte solution in place of his water.
Thanks, I will talk with the vet tomorrow about the Sodium Benzoate (where do you even get that?) when I hear they got the meds in for him. Where we are at right now, we (the vet and myself) are waiting until after we get through the meds to really get into diet stuff. We will be going back after the time frame for the meds is up for another fecal test.
I have his cage covered up like I would if it was bed time. He did eat when I offered food and so far has kept that down. (before I saw your post...) He has food in his cage but I will leave him be for tonight. I may try to make the pedialite soultion for him tonight or tomorrow morning when I can.
I'm glad you are here because many of us have dealt with the dreaded diagnosis you have received, and have had good success getting and keeping our little friends healthy. Deborah has provided some good informative info links and we will be glad to help with any question's that arise...
He came down from Heaven unto this earth below
He came down from glory and praises untold
He came down to man fashioned in their way
He came down to rescue, He came down to save
Thanks everyone. I'm still waiting to hear from the vet on the meds. If I haven't heard from them within the next few hours I intend to give them a call. I am glad I finally have a definitive, this is what the test results came back as, yes there is a problem, diagnosis.
I did not have a chance to ask the vet, but the tech did think this was something he had for some time, he just didn't present with symptoms until his immune system was compromised. The reading I've seen so far has kinda backed that up. What have others experienced...or something...I cant word right today.
An update for anyone who may be following.
Meds are in. I am going to pick them up after work. I give them to him twice a day for 30 days and then we go back in to see the vet.
Yesterday afternoon was a bit scary. I got home and found seeds in Kiger's droppings. After chatting with the vet I opted to make a mix of 2 teaspoons mash to 1 tablespoon seed. This way he is getting something he can digest even if he cant break down the seed hulls. This is five steps back from the going toward a mainly pellet diet but right now my biggest concern is I need him to eat, and I need him to eat something he can digest. His droppings went back to some semblance of normal (mostly normal, one or two with seeds).
he has perked up a bit at least this morning he was singing and dancing a bit. He hasn't done that in a few weeks. When I asked boyfriend to check on him D said kiger had been quiet today and was in his preferred daytime spot in his cage, and only one dropping that looked like it had seeds in it.
SO my question, is this a curable thing or is it a just managing kind of thing, or does that vary from bird to bird? I've read mixed things so I wonder what others have experienced?
Thank you everyone! I think we are through the worst of it...it can only improve from here right?