So I want to make sure I'm doing everything properly (& safely) in attempting to eradicate the Knemidocoptes mites (Scaly Leg & Face) after my budgie is treated with the medication [ Scatt / Moxydectin.]
Someone at the pet store told me to use 15% bleach water solution (no, I'm not comfortable with that actually, seems toxic.)... and to use their 8-in-1 UltraCare Mite & Lice Spray. [Nowhere online anywhere, have I read this is something that is useful or effective or safe. So no to that.] The vet just said "wash everything with household soap and water." Ok, thanks but that's a bit too vague for me.
Here's the plan. Please let me know if anything here won't work or is unsafe. Thanks!
I'm am going to:
1) Bake all wooden perches in 400% oven for about 20 minutes. [*My only concern here is ... will they catch on fire? They're dry old dead wood. Should I do a lower oven? ]
2) Bake wooden & steel toy 400% for about 20 minutes. [*this is a big blocks and balls wooden toy.]
3) Boil all plastic (some with metal parts) toys & food dishes in boiling water.
4) Wash same plastic toys & food dishes with Dawn antibacterial dish soap.
5) Soak same plastic toys & food dishes in 1-to-1 ratio vinegar & water solution, then rinse.
6) Wash down entire cage with Dawn antibacterial dishsoap and rinse.
7) Spray entire cage with 1-to-1 ratio vinegar & water solution, then rinse.
8) THROW OUT & REPLACE:
9) Wipe down all areas & surfaces in the house where bird has landed with 1-to-1 vinegar/water solution.
- Mineral block
- Paper-y or Palm Leaf or Coconut Husk Shredder Toys
10) Bake Ground Calcium and Ground-up Seashell Perch (Prevue Pacific Perch beachwalk) after washing with Dawn Antibacterial Soap. [*I'm thinking I can't boil this b/c it will dissolve.]
Do you think any of the items here are unnecessary or ineffective?
I'm just not sure if Vinegar 1-to-1 with water works? Some things I've read said diluted bleach... hydrogen peroxide.... those seem like they work but they sound risky to me.
I couldn't find any information about how to deal with Mineral Blocks or Cuttlebones so I'm assuming they get thrown out....? I would disinfect them if I knew how.
Thanks *So* much for your thoughts.